The Leadership and Governance team manage all Search and Selection campaigns delivered by TPP whether at Board, CEO, Director or Head-of level.
A retained campaign is where you engage the services of TPP as the sole consultancy managing the assignment, including marketing (advertising and information pack/microsite ensuring an apporach that complements your diversity and inclusion strategy), search (headhunting and networking) and selection (by assessing through a combination of competency, strength and potential-based interview questions designed specifically for your role).
Having summarised the key skills and experiences required, and assessed the organisational culture, vision and values, we then identify and approach people. These will be both those who we think may be interested in the opportunity and those who may refer us to other relevant people. We have many networks to interrogate; our own database, personal networks, LinkedIn etc. that we utilise to identify and approach people. This ensures we reach as far and wide as possible, and that we are also reaching a diverse audience.
The Board may have identified a number of credible people who we should approach, and there may be those in your networks who are already aware of the vacancy. People within your community may ask us to “check” their name with you before they decide to apply, and we may need to manage the handling of internal applications since this is particularly sensitive. Our comprehensive process combines targeted search and digital marketing with the following elements:
- Preparatory research as outlined above to gather knowledge and understanding of organisational culture, and the opportunities and challenges ahead;
- Advising on, and supporting the creation of, job description and person specifications, salary and terms utilising current market knowledge;
- Advising on membership of the recruitment panel including suggesting independent panel members if required;
- Agreement of timetable and key milestones involving your contacts;
- Preparation of all marketing materials by the TPP in-house marketing team to include construction of a candidate information pack, microsite and advertising including Biteable video and images for social media if appropriate;
- Commencement of online marketing campaign (all included in our fee) on job boards and social media channels including premium marketing on Guardian and LinkedIn, as well as CharityJobs (branded), Third Sector, TPP, sponsored and targeted adverts on Indeed, and Twitter;
- Extensive search of TPP consultant networks, approaches to target market as identified in the briefing, direct approach to potential candidates and sourcing of referrals;
- Extensive use of LinkedIn – TPP have invested in LinkedIn Recruiter licenses which gives us unlimited access to everyone on LinkedIn’s global database, as well as several sophisticated search and marketing options.
All parties who express interest in the opportunity will be sent the Candidate Information Pack. From our first interaction we promote and represent your organisation, whilst encouraging relevant applications in order to ensure a robust shortlist. This stage of the campaign includes the following elements:
- Three-stage selection process encompassing:
- Assessment of application materials;
- Telephone/video conference screening;
- First round face-to-face competency-based interviews with questions built on elements of the person specification and briefing data.
- Applicant research to include internet checks and verbal references if possible;
- Coordination of informal conversations with your recruitment lead for interested and strong applicants;
- Compilation of a candidate report for presentation to the recruitment panel containing: a long list of the strongest applicants with accompanying interview notes; scoring matrix; market feedback; and marketing statistics.
The final stage of the campaign includes the following elements:
- Coordination of interviews, any assessment criteria, for example psychometric assessments (through Thomas International at cost per head), and presentations;
- Management of interview arrangements, ensuring that all applicants are thoroughly prepared prior to their interview, and that feedback is provided to all parties;
- Management of second stage interviews if required;
- Management and administration of the offer;
- Maintaining contact throughout the appointed candidate’s notice period and for a minimum for six months after start date to help with on-boarding and to ensure the appointment is working well.
The Retained Search fee is a fixed amount agreed with the client upfront. Unlike contingency recruitment, the fee is usually payable in three instalments as detailed below:
- The first third is payable upon engaging and retaining our services
- The second third of the fee is payable upon acceptance of a short-list
- The final third is payable once the successful candidate commences in post
We know what we need to do to ensure a successful recruitment campaign, but we are well aware that time and budget may require us to tailor the above.
For further information on the above services contact our Leadership and Governance team.