|Job Title||Volunteer Home Befriender - EXPIRED|
|Contract Type||Temporary / Interim|
|Job Published||25 Jan 2016|
|Contact Name||Volunteers Team|
Deafblind UK are looking for volunteers to regularly visit a deafblind person(s) in their own home or at another mutually convenient location, to engage in conversation and / or supervise other activities as appropriate to build and maintain friendship. For example, chat and a cup of tea, gardening and walks. To provide advice and guidance to a deafblind person(s) as appropriate within a mutual friendship.
Reducing deafblind people’s isolation, and improving their quality of life.
- To establish and build a befriending relationship
- To regularly visit an identified deafblind person at a mutually convenient time and place, ideally weekly.
- To engage in and supervise activities appropriate to normal friendships (Deafblind UK will work to match you with an individual with similar interests or who would benefit from your life experiences)
- To provide advice and guidance to a deafblind person to a level appropriate within a mutual friendship.
- To supervise a deafblind person as required in specific tasks ie gardening.
- To take charge of communication and guiding support as needed with the deafblind person to enable local walks, or enable them to access activities at their chosen meeting location
- To provide regular updates of your volunteering activity to your volunteer co-ordinator
- To provide a regular commitment of time and provide a much notice of any absence as possible
- Willing to share own personal interests with deafblind people who have similar or the same interests
- Willing to engage in conversations with deafblind people to share interests
- Willing to learn communication and guiding techniques to meet the needs of the deafblind person / people (full training will be provided)
- To adhere to the requirements of Deafblind UK’s volunteer policies and procedures including the Code of Conduct as outlined in the Volunteer Handbook.
If you would like further information or wish to apply, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01733 358100 and speak to Lyn Pollard