The Afghanistan & Central Asian Association (ACAA) is a small but dynamic charity set up in 2001 to promote British values and integration among the refugee community. In the UK, we work to empower and support refugees and asylum seekers from Afghanistan and neighbouring countries by providing vital services that enable successful integration. Our services include English classes, mentoring, drop-in advice sessions, legal surgery, employment and education training, counter-extremism workshops and youth and women's engagement services. We aim to improve the lives of refugees and asylum seekers in the UK and integrate them into British society, as well as empower individuals by providing access to information and skills training to ensure they can actively participate in mainstream society. In 2013, ACAA received its first international grant from DFID to launch two Citizens Advice Centres in Afghanistan, which offer free legal advice to vulnerable members of the community. We are at a crucial time in our development and are looking for enthusiastic trustees with relevant experience to join our team.
To be responsible, collectively with other trustees, for setting ACAA’s strategic aims and objectives and fulfilling the charity’s objects; to be responsible for the well-being and development of the organisation and for its good governance, in compliance with current legislation under the Companies and Charities Acts.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- With other trustees to ensure that the Board of Trustees complies with its Constitution and Articles of Association.
- With other trustees to ensure that ACAA pursues and works within its mission and charitable objectives.
- To be aware of, and conform to, the responsibilities of a Charity Trustee and Company Director.
- With other trustees to ensure that the organisation functions within relevant legal and financial requirements.
- With other trustees to ensure the organisation applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objectives.
- To support senior staff and promote and maintain good relationships between trustees, the Director, staff and volunteers.
- To attend Board meetings and sub-committee meetings and read papers in advance of meetings.
- To keep informed about ACAA’s activities and wider issues, which affect its work.
- To safeguard and reflect the organisation’s values at all times.
- To play an ambassadorial role and promote ACAA as appropriate.
- To act in the best interests of ACAA and to recognise and declare personal interests, where appropriate.
- To work within ACAA’s policies and procedures, including, but not exclusively, Confidentiality, Equal Opportunities, Child Protection/ Protection of Vulnerable Adults and the Trustee Code of Conduct.
- To fulfill other such duties and assignments that may be required from time to time by the Board of Trustees.
- Experience / knowledge of any of the following would be valuable: project management and strategic development / legal / education / finance / charity management / community development, fundraising and user involvement.
- Contacts with individuals, companies and chartable trusts that would be shared for fundraising / marketing purposes.
- An interest in, and commitment to, ACAA’s mission and values
- A commitment to attend Board and other meetings, as appropriate, and to be available for projects and working groups
- A willingness to promote ACAA externally, by using personal and professional contacts
- Strategic vision
- An ability to think creatively
- An ability to contribute to constructive debate
- A commitment to understand and work within the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- A commitment to support the work of the Director and to respect the difference between governance and management
- An ability to work effectively as a member of the Board of Trustee.
- We are looking above all for individuals who are consistent and feel they can contribute to our organisation, and we will consider applicants who may not meet the person specification exactly.
To apply for this position, please send your CV and a Cover Letter outlining what attracts you to the position and your suitability for the role, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ref: EXPIRED - LF786 | Published: 18th Aug 2016