KEEN London is a small but growing charity supporting children with special needs. Our free sessions give children with disabilities (our “athletes”) the opportunity to take part in sports, games and other activities. Uniquely, we pair every child with an experienced volunteer coach meaning parents can leave their children in a safe, fully-supported environment. KEEN London operates from three sites in London and runs two annual residential trips.
KEEN London has experienced rapid growth in recent years and we are looking for a Chair who will relish the challenge of leading the charity to the next exciting stage of its development.
Chair of Trustees
Board of Trustees; Senior Co-ordinator
We are very interested in recruiting someone with extensive business or corporate connections. A general background at a senior level in strategy, governance, finance, HR, fundraising would be useful. Previous experience as a Chair or trustee would be welcomed.
- Provide leadership and direction to the board of Trustees, particularly as the charity continues to grow. Enable and support the board to fulfil their responsibilities for the overall governance and strategic direction of the charity.
- Facilitate the board of trustees in stimulating excellent, well-rounded and carefully considered strategic decision-making.
- Ensure that the organisation pursues its objects as defined in its governing document, charity law, company law and other relevant legislation/regulations.
- Work in partnership with the two full-time employees, helping them achieve the aims of the organisation and optimise the relationship between the board of Trustees and the staff.
Main Responsibilities - Board of Trustees
- Lead the board of trustees in formulating and reviewing strategic plans
- Approve and chair the annual cycle of board meetings and meeting agendas. Monitor decisions taken at meetings and ensure they are implemented.
- Liaise regularly with the Treasurer to maintain a clear grasp of the charity’s financial position and to ensure full and timely financial transparency and information disclosure to the Board.
- Lead and mentor other Board members to fulfil their responsibilities and enable access to training/coaching/information to enhance the overall contribution of the board.
- Annually review the Board structure, role, staff relationships and ensure implementation of agreed changes/developments are carried out.
Main Responsibilities - Representing KEEN London
- Represent KEEN as a spokesperson at appropriate events, meetings or functions.
- Instigate networking and other opportunities to gain support and funds for the charity.
- Protect and manage the reputation of the organisation.
- Commitment to and understanding of KEEN London’s aims and values
- Strategic and forward looking vision
- Good, independent judgement and the ability to think creatively in the context of the organisation and external environment.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Prior experience of committee/trustee work.
- Knowledge of the type of work undertaken by the organisation.
- A wider involvement with the voluntary sector.
- Experience of chairing meetings, committee work, some experience of charity finance, charity fundraising.
- Leadership skills exercised through a period of change.
- The Board meets at least five times a year for formal trustees’ meetings
- Ad hoc meetings are often arranged to deal with issues arising from the board meetings.
- Occasional attendance at weekly KEEN London sessions is encouraged.
- As we are a small charity with a hands-on Board of Trustees, it is important that the Chair can make him/herself available for ad hoc consultation/discussion as and when required.
More information about KEEN London’s work can be found at www.keenlondon.org.
Please apply with your cv and a short covering letter outlining why you have the skills and experience to take on this role. Applications should be sent to Jill Robinson, Trustee, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 31st January 2017.
We value diversity at TPP and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
Ref: EXPIRED - LF874 | Published: 20th Dec 2016