South East England, England
over 2 years ago
Work Positive offers people living with HIV who are unemployed a structured professional employment development programme which can help individuals take positive steps back towards the workplace. Work Positive provides work experience placements, a diverse training programme (technical skills and employability skills), one-to-one mentoring and group coaching. Each participant is supported to develop and renew skills for the workplace, meet new people, explore work options and overcome personal barriers to work.
The Employment Mentor is an integral part of the support structure for each individual, providing space for the participant to ask questions, explore work ideas, reflect on their work experience and skills and gain feedback on job applications and interview technique.
What will this role involved ?
* Providing one-to-one support to a person living with HIV who is unemployed and who has the motivation to get back into the workplace
* Motivating and coaching the participant to make the most out of their work experience and further opportunities.
* Providing practical support which could include support with job searching, CVs, job applications and preparation for interviews.
* Providing motivational support which could include discussing barriers to work opportunities and coaching on how to overcome these barriers.
* Providing reflective support which would involve discussing with the participants work experience placement and reflecting on the skills that are being gained in order to complete a Personal Development Portfolio.
* Encouraging and supporting participants to access other training opportunities as well as the Work Positive workshops.
What experience do I need ?
* Excellent communication and active listening skills
* Ability to motivate self and others
* Experience in employment support, Information, Advice and Guidance and/or teaching adults
* Experience of supporting clients on a one-to-one basis
* Knowledge of the recruitment and employment sector will be an advantage
* An understanding of HIV and related issues e.g. fear and stigma associated with HIV
* Ability to give and receive support and feedback and be able to demonstrate an understanding of the importance of commitment and reliability
* A commitment to setting and maintaining appropriate personal and professional boundaries
* Ability to maintain confidentiality
* Commitment to representing THT in a positive and constructive way
What will I get out of this volunteering opportunity ?
* Gain experience in one-to-one support, motivational and coaching techniques, information giving and guidance
* Develop communication, coaching, inter-personal and problem solving skills.
* Full training provided
* Reimbursement of out of pocket expenses where possible
* Support and supervision
* References given subject to THT policy
* Opportunity to undertake accredited training programmes
Desired Commitment: It is expected that the Mentor will meet with their mentee approximately once every two weeks for one to one-and-a-half hours. .
Geographical Area: Brighton, Hove, Worthing, Crawley or Eastbourne
When Required: This role will start in September/October 2018
How to Apply: Please email email@example.com if you are interested in this opportunity