almost 2 years ago
The Helen Taylor Thompson Foundation (operating as CAN) is a registered charity trading as a social enterprise earning income in direct pursuit of its aims.
We are committed to helping other charities and social ventures thrive, grow and maximise their impact and strive to achieve this by offering business support, capital and flexible affordable space.
We run 5 serviced offices in Central London that house around 1300 individuals from 170 exclusively social organisations and in the last 10 years we have grown our asset base from zero value to a current value of over £40m with turnover just under £6m. All surpluses are re-invested in pursuit of our objectives to grow social impact.
This is a pivotal time to join the organisation as we are currently going through an exciting time of significant change and growth as we evolve into a Foundation that generates its funds from the direct pursuit of its charitable objectives rather than from an endowment.
We have recently merged with Education Saves Lives (formerly Thare Machi Education), a charity spreading basic health and wellbeing education throughout the world's poorest communities using DVD's and the web to promote lessons to communities in their own languages.
We are currently re-shaping our Memorandum & Articles of Association to focus our impact, reviewing our Governance arrangements working with the team to assess our existing Mission, Vision and Values, growing our Board skills and at the same time completing a £50m building development to future proof the home for our Southwark based community.
Who We're Looking For
The Helen Taylor Thompson Foundation (operating as CAN) are looking for a new Trustee, to be the lead trustee in advising the Board of Foundation on charity & social enterprise issues
What difference will you make for us?
As a result of the work that you do the Trust will be:
- Able to show empirically that it is delivering it's stated impact
- Fully aware of the needs of & trends within the social sector as they relate to its purpose
- Challenged, based on our charitable objectives, to fulfil its purpose
- Continue to pursue its purpose to support social organisations to maximise their impact through the offer of premises skills and finance.
- Develop and live its vision and values
- Meet all its legal requirements
We will look to you to
- Fulfil the statutory duties of a Trustee
- Undertake Trustee training sessions if requested
- Attend Board Meetings four times a year ½ day during the working day at the CAN office in Borough
- Contribute to Board discussions
- Attend a one-day strategy day a year
- Act as an ambassador of the Trust in the service of its purpose, vision and values
You will definitely bring
- Extensive experience of leadership in a charity that has traded as a social enterprise in direct pursuit of its aims
- An ability to think strategically
- A commitment to the purpose of the HTTF
- A passion for registered charities trading as a social enterprise
- A positive view of collaboration between charities and social enterprises to grow their impact
- A willingness and creative hunger to challenge norms
- A faith in people that respects their individuality and gives them a voice
You will get support from:
The Chair of Trustees, other Trustees, the Chief Executive & the Executive team
This is an unsalaried position, but we will reimburse reasonable travel expenses.
How to Apply
If you are interested in joining the Helen Taylor Thompson Foundation as a Trustee and have the skills and experience to support and help further develop our organisation, please send us:
- A current comprehensive CV,
- A covering letter (no more than 2 x A4 pages): demonstrating why you are interested in the position and what you would hope to bring to the position
Please submit your completed application to Therese Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org
Therese Williams, CAN Mezzanine, 7/14 Great Dover Street, London, SE1 4YR.
The Helen Taylor Thompson Foundation is an equal opportunities employer. Registered Charity No 1075749.
The Helen Taylor Thompson Foundation is committed to helping other charities and social ventures thrive, grow and maximize their impact, and, expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.