about 1 year ago
The Helen Taylor Thompson Foundation (operating as CAN) is a registered charity trading as a social enterprise earning income in direct pursuit of its aims.
We are committed to helping other charities and social ventures thrive, grow and maximise their impact and strive to achieve this by offering business support, capital and flexible affordable space.
We run 5 service offices in Central London that house around 1300 individuals from 170 exclusively social organisations and in the last 10 years we have grown our asset base from zero value to a current value of over £40m with turnover just under £6m. All surpluses are re-invested in pursuit of our objectives to grow social impact.
This is a pivotal time to join the organisation as we are currently going through an exciting time of significant change and growth as we evolve into a Foundation that generates its funds from the direct pursuit of its charitable objectives rather than from an endowment.
We have recently merged with Education Saves Lives (formerly Thare Machi Education), a charity spreading basic health and wellbeing education throughout the world's poorest communities using DVD's and the web to promote lessons to communities in their own languages.
We are currently re-shaping our Memorandum & Articles of Association to focus our impact, reviewing our Governance arrangements working with the team to assess our existing Mission, Vision and Values, growing our Board skills and at the same time completing a £50m building development to future proof the home for our Southwark based community.
Who We're Looking For
A new Trustee of The Helen Taylor Thompson Foundation (operating as CAN), to be the lead Trustee in ensuring that the Board of the Foundation communicates & markets itself in the most effective way to deliver on its purpose.
What difference will you make for us?
As a result of the work that you do the Trust will:
- Develop its external communication strategy to raise its profile within the social sector as a "pillar of strength" that enables social organisations to be resilient, stand up for what they believe in and deliver social value.
- Continue to pursue its purpose to support social organisations to maximise their impact through the offer of premises skills and finance.
- Develop and live its vision and values
- Meet all its legal requirements
We will look to you to
- Fulfil the statutory duties of a Trustee
- Undertake Trustee training sessions if requested
- Attend Board Meetings four times a year during the working day at the CAN office in Borough
- Contribute to Board discussions
- Attend a one-day strategy day a year
- Act as an ambassador of the Trust in the service of its purpose, vision and values
You will definitely bring
- Extensive experience in brand marketing and communication
- An ability to think strategically
- A commitment to the purpose of the HTTF
- A passion for registered charities trading as a social enterprise
- A positive view of collaboration between charities and social enterprises to grow their impact
- A willingness and creative hunger to challenge norms
- A faith in people that respects their individuality and gives them a voice
You will get support from:
The Chair of Trustees, other Trustees, the Chief Executive & the Executive team
This is an unsalaried position, but we will reimburse reasonable travel expenses.
How to Apply
If you are interested in joining the Helen Taylor Thompson Foundation as a Trustee and have the skills and experience to support and help further develop our organisation, please send us:
- A supporting statement (no more than 1- 2 x A4 pages): demonstrating how your experience meets the criteria for this role, and crucially, your motivation for applying for the role;
- A current comprehensive CV, including details of two referees (who will not of course be contacted without your prior knowledge and consent).
- A covering letter (no more than 1 x A4 pages): demonstrating how you meet the essential criteria as set out in the Person Specification - outlining why you are interested in working for The Helen Taylor Thompson Foundation.
Please submit your completed application to Therese Williams at email@example.com
Therese Williams, CAN Mezzanine, 7/14 Great Dover Street, London, SE1 4YR.
The Helen Taylor Thompson Foundation is an equal opportunities employer. Registered Charity No 1075749.