over 3 years ago
Noah's Ark Children's Hospice is a community based hospice service providing support for children and young people with life-limiting or life-threatening conditions and their families in the North London boroughs of Barnet, Camden, Enfield, Haringey and Islington.
Purpose of role:
Noah’s Ark opened its first charity shop in November 2011 on Barnet High Street and we have since opened a further two shops – one in Borehamwood and one on Finchley Road (NW3). Our charity shops are essential for raising funds which can be used to support Noah’s Ark families. Volunteers are vital in helping to sort donated goods, restock the shop floor and serve customers.
We are always interested to hear from volunteers who are able to commit to doing a minimum of 1 shift a week (4 hours) on a regular basis. We would also LOVE to hear from you if you are able to offer more than 1 shift a week. So if you have a few hours to spare each week, enjoy working with the public and love being surrounded by clothes, books and toys then come and support us and help to raise funds for Noah’s Ark!
Opportunities of the role:
- Develop customer service skills
- Working as part of a team
- Gain experience of the retail sector
- Advising and helping customers to make them feel welcome – a smile goes a long way!
- Operating the till and dealing with various methods of payment
- Being aware of the security of the shop
- Keeping the shop clean, tidy and well stocked
- Promoting public understanding of the work of Noah’s Ark and the importance of raising funds
- Sorting donations into saleable stock and items for recycling (at the shop or at our warehouse)
- Preparing stock for sale by hanging, sizing, steaming and labelling each item
- Helping the manager price garments at their full value by considering the brand, quality and condition of each item
- Assisting the manager in welcoming and training new volunteers
- The ability to get on with people and work as a team
- Friendly, enthusiastic and able to give and receive feedback to and from the Shop Manager
- Basic numeracy
- Retail experience desirable, but not essential
- Willingness to participate in the relevant training and information update sessions
- A commitment to the role, good timekeeping and reliability – ensuring reasonable notice is given if unable to attend allocated shift, training or update session.
Availability & Location:
The addresses and opening hours of the charity shops are:
Barnet Charity Shop
9.30am to 5.30pm
Borehamwood Charity Shop
9.00am to 5.00pm
Finchley Road Charity Shop
10am to 6pm
We ask volunteers to give a regular commitment of a minimum of 4 hours a week on a consistent basis, but we also need volunteers who can give more than this. We would ideally like a volunteer to commit to supporting us in this role for a minimum of 6 months, but this can be flexible.
At Noah’s Ark we value volunteer support but we are also aware that not all roles are suitable for everyone. The selection process is in place to ensure that the Noah’s Ark staff get to know more about the individual, to ensure that you are given the correct training for the role and so you can also find out if this is a role you would like to undertake. The training process is:
- Attend a Volunteer Induction (all potential volunteers have to attend one of these sessions before they are able to get involved in any capacity)
- Attend an informal interview with the relevant Shop Manager (if successful at this stage a first shift will be arranged)
- 1:1 Training Session on first visit to shop (the Shop Manager will work through a checklist of training topics on your first visit to the shop to ensure you are given all the relevant information for your role. Volunteers are then on a 4 week trial basis to ensure that both the volunteer and Noah’s Ark are happy with how things are going)
Minimum Age: 16 years
If you would like more information or to apply for the role, please email Annette Higgs at firstname.lastname@example.org