Richmond upon Thames, London
almost 3 years ago
Do you enjoy communicating with people from all walks of life?
Are you looking to gain valuable hands-on experience within a national charity?
Join 'Team Poppy Factory' and help us to make a real difference to the lives of Wounded, Injured and Sick (WIS) Veterans across the UK!
About The Poppy Factory
The Poppy Factory is the country's leading employment charity for veterans with health conditions or impairments. Our specialist service is designed to support veterans with physical and mental health challenges into meaningful and rewarding employment within their local communities. Our factory in Richmond also employs around 30 disabled veterans to produce the poppies and wreaths for the Royal Family and The Royal British Legion's annual Poppy Appeal- something we have been doing since 1922. For more information, visit poppyfactory.org/
Why we need your help!
As well as seeing an increase of 85% in registrations for our employability service between 2015 and 2016, last year The Poppy Factory welcomed just over 9,000 visitors on site to experience our very popular Factory Tours. With an increasing awareness of our employability work and tour offering, we are looking for a team of volunteers to provide additional support to our front of house staff so we are better able to deal with new enquiries and provide a warm welcome to guests visiting our various departments.
About the volunteer role
As a Volunteer Receptionist, you will support the day to day running of the front of house area, dealing with face to face, telephone and email communication with visitors, staff, volunteers and the wider public. You will also provide additional administrative support to staff in our front office.
Activities will include:
- Answering the phone, dealing with voicemails, forwarding on messages.
- Welcoming guests throughout the day
- Monitoring car park availability, reserving spaces on request
- Supporting tour bookings process and actioning any follow-up
- Post opening, franking and delivery
- General administrative activities
What is the time commitment?
- We are looking for volunteers to cover reception mid-morning to mid-afternoon, 1 or 2 days per week between Monday to Thursday. Days/ times can be flexible according to your other commitments.
- An initial meeting face to face to discuss your motivations, skills and experience will take place as part of the recruitment process W/C 9th April
- Start date will commence from mid-May
- We ask volunteers to commit to The Poppy Factory for 6 months.
Where is the role based?
The Poppy Factory, 20 Petersham Road, Richmond, TW10 6UR
Skills and qualities required
- A commitment to the aims and principles of The Poppy Factory
- Previous experience in administration/ reception work would be an advantage but not essential.
- Good communication skills and level of English to be able to act in a friendly and professional manner as a first point of contact
- Good interpersonal skills to work alongside a range of staff, volunteers and the general public, and a willingness to learn from others
- Attention to detail and ability to follow set procedures
- Good IT skills with the ability to use Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel
- Good time management skills with the ability to multitask
What we offer:
- A named supervisor plus ongoing support from the Volunteers Manager.
- An induction to The Poppy Factory and your volunteer role
- Reasonable out of pocket expenses
- Access to relevant in-house training and development opportunities
- Opportunity to be a part of a national charity including invitations to TPF Volunteer events, other social & information events and access to regular organisational updates.
Please click on this link to apply: https://poppyfactory.has-jobs.co.uk/volunteer-receptionist-richmond/196943/0/apply
Or visit our website https://www.poppyfactory.org/vacancies/
Closing Date: 9am, 2nd April 2018
For an informal discussion about the role, contact Alice Barrett on 020 8939 1821 or firstname.lastname@example.org
We are committed to making every reasonable adjustment to the workplace or volunteering arrangements so as to accommodate people with disabilitie