about 2 months ago
About the role:
We have 3 different volunteer roles to choose from:
- Surplus Food Collection: ensure that your weekly FoodCycle session has a regular supply of food, by picking up surplus food donations from partner supermarkets and local retailers and dropping it off at your local Project venue ready for cooking.
- Cooking: join the kitchen team to help produce a three-course vegetarian meal using surplus food. You'll contribute to recipe ideas, help with prepping the food, cooking the meal, and of course clearing up afterwards!
- Hosting: help to create a warm, welcoming environment and reduce hunger and loneliness in your community by prepping the venue, serving a delicious meal and sharing in conversation with our guests.
You don't need to have any previous experience, you just need to get stuck in!
Week in, week out we nourish the hungry and lonely in our communities with delicious meals and great conversation, using food which would otherwise go to waste.
FoodCycle aims to:
- Connect communities
- Support mental health and wellbeing
- Nourish the hungry
- Promote sustainability
- Inspire change
Skills you'll learn
- Creativity: You'll get creative deciding on a menu from surplus food ingredients or making the venue look nice on a budget!
- Teamwork: You'll work as part of a team to collect food, prepare a delicious meal, or serve our guests.
- Cooking - You'll learn how to cater for large numbers of guests and how to make nutritionally balanced meals.
- Relationship building - You'll build lasting relationships with food suppliers/guests/volunteers.
What to expect from FoodCycle
- Ongoing support and advice from a FoodCycle Project Leader during every session.
- Expenses, including mileage, covered in line with our volunteer policy.
- Free online training modules, including first aid awareness and food allergens.
- The opportunity to take on additional tasks/responsibilities.
- Impressive skills to add to your CV and a reference if/when you need it.
- The opportunity to meet a large network of like-minded people.
- A fun, creative volunteer experience within a community-led Project.
What's expected from me
- Have bags of enthusiasm!
- Follow all FoodCycle policies and procedures - including the volunteer agreement.
- Follow all training you receive when registering with us.
- Support FoodCycle to fulfil its mission of nourishing communities with food and conversation.
Give as much as you feel! It is easy to volunteer with FoodCycle and we don't look for minimum commitments, but love it if you keep coming back! An average volunteer slot is 4 hours.
Register to volunteer here https://volunteer.foodcycle.org.uk/volunteer-sign-up then sign up to a slot online.