25 days ago
Role: Passenger Assistant
Organisation: Voluntary Services Lewisham
Location: London Borough of Lewisham
Commitment: We ask for a minimum commitment of 3 hours per week over a 3-month period
Who are we?
Voluntary Services Lewisham (VSL) is an independent charity founded in 1969. We aim to help and support older people, vulnerable adults, people with physical disabilities, people experiencing mental health difficulties and children & families from disadvantaged backgrounds. We do this by providing befriending, mental health drop ins and transport services across the London Borough of Lewisham.
Purpose of role
Volunteer Passenger Assistants assist our drivers transporting groups of individuals who attend the community programmes we support. Journeys will be within the borough of Lewisham. There is the potential to receive AQA accredited training though this is not a requirement of the role. To ensure the continuity of the community services we support, we are looking for volunteers who are able to commit a minimum of 3 hours per week for at least 3 months.
- To carry out passenger assisting duties in compliance with VSL policies and to PATS (Passenger Assistant Training Scheme) standards.
- To liaise with a staff member regarding passenger requests and arrangements
- To collect monies from where applicable
- To aid passengers boarding and alighting the vehicle
- To ensure that passengers are comfortably and securely fastened in their seats, gangways are clear of obstructions and that the driver is not distracted
- To assist in the safe securing of any passengers travelling in wheelchairs
- Volunteer drivers are subject to a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)
We are looking for volunteers who have:
- A willingness to learn
- Empathetic and caring attitude
- Good interpersonal skills
- Committed and reliable
- Friendly and patient attitude
- Trustworthy and reliable
What can we offer you?
- Volunteer for an established and highly respected charity in Lewisham
- Develop new skills and build your confidence
- The opportunity to support your local community and to meet new people
- The opportunity to undertake training and to be a part of our volunteer family, (pre COVID we held annual volunteer social events)
- Improve your physical and mental wellbeing
- Volunteer in a different sector and learn how charities operate
- Discounts at over 500 local businesses through membership of the Lewisham Local card
To learn more about volunteering for VSL, please contact us.
How to apply
Please contact us if you require any further information on 020 8291 1747.
To apply please follow the link below to complete our application form.