Reasonable travel and lunch expenses will be reimbursed
almost 3 years ago
Reporting to: Executive Producer
Contract: 6 months (July – December 2016)
Hours: Full-time, 9:30am - 5:30pm
Eligibility criteria: This intense training programme is open to 18-25 year olds who live in London
Expenses: Up to £80 per week to cover travel and lunch expenses (subject to a £55 weekly limit for travel within Greater London).
Media Trust background:
At Media Trust we believe that everyone should have a voice and an audience to inspire positive change.
We help charities, communities and campaigns deploy the power of the media to change the world. We offer a broad range of marketing and communication resources and training, free professional support from media volunteers and mentors, film and content production, funding for media projects, and the national digital TV and online channel, Community Channel.
At Community Channel we want you to pause for a moment and think about the world around you. We are about inspiring our viewers to take action on the causes and issues that matter to them.
Media Trust is a member of the Cultural Diversity Network (CDN) whose challenge is to change the face of television, onscreen and off, by ensuring broadcast media accurately reflects Britain’s increasingly multicultural society.
We are the UK’s leading communications charity. Our corporate members include: A&E Networks, adam&eve DDB, AMV BBDO, Arqiva, Ascential, BBC, BBH, Bloomberg, BT, Camelot, Channel 4, Dentsu Aegis Network, Discovery, DMG Media, Endemol Shine UK, ESI Media, Facebook, Global Radio, Guardian Media Group, Google, Havas Media Group, Hearst Magazine, IAB, Independent Television News, ITV, Next15, Saatchi&Saatchi, Sky, Starcom MediaVest, Telegraph Media Group, Twitter, Time Warner, Trinity Mirror, Virgin Media, UBM, UKTV, Viacom, Walt Disney UK and Ireland, Weber Shandwick, WPP and Yahoo!
This project is funded by City Bridge Trust, and requires a dynamic and enthusiastic team of Reporters. Through reports, video stories and other digital media platforms sourced from around London you will produce compelling community based journalism; telling the stories of London’s communities.
- Working in a team you will produce a regular news and campaigning magazine show called London360 for distribution on broadcast and online platforms
- You will gain experience of all the different aspects of campaign and news production, creating vlogs, blogs, reports, photojournalism, video-journalism, broadcast-journalism and social media
- You will gain experience of all areas of news and campaign delivery, from sourcing stories, to creating and editing packages and distributing them to wider audiences
- You will distribute content on broadcast, online, press and social media platforms ensuring that stories gain the widest circulation possible and maximum impact
- You will receive extensive training in multi-media journalism and be managed by an experienced news executive producer, project manager, and have the support of a video editor
- You may also write blogs for The Huffington Post, and create vlogs for London Live: The Evening Standard’s TV channel
- You will have the opportunity to contribute to the BBC Radio London team and broadcast on Westside Radio regularly to get a taste of a radio environment
- Work under the guidance of the Executive Producer and Project Manager to produce London360 including delivering on key dates, targets and milestones
- Work across a range of roles including: Researcher, Producer, Presenter, Director, Camera Operator, Sound, Online Content Producer, Video Editor, Distributer, Marketing/PR, Photojournalism
- Specialise in an area such as presenting, post-production, blogging or other
- Produce weekly blogs / vlogs / tweets / articles and photographs to create and tell community news and campaigns
- Research and develop story ideas to create the weekly news agenda
- Support a team of 50 community journalists to create vlogs for London360, and provide mentoring during the Art of Vlogging workshops
- Establish and develop relationships with mainstream media journalists and broadcasters across London to increase access to distribution opportunities
- Assisting with the monitoring and evaluation of the scheme alongside the Executive Producer and Project Manager
This would suit somebody with the following attributes:
- Basic knowledge of journalism, filming and editing would be beneficial
- A strong interest in local news and campaigns
- Having a passion for / being involved in local communities, charities or volunteering
- An enthusiasm for written and broadcast journalism
- A good knowledge and understanding of media, communications and PR
- Excellent attention to detail, planning and organisational skills
- Excellent communication skills across all levels of an organisation, both written and verbal
- Hardworking and flexible work ethic
- A passion for giving a voice to hidden communities
- Able to achieve results and focus on deadlines
- Commitment to equal opportunities and the aims and values of Media Trust
Previous reporters have gone on to work for broadcasters such as ITV, Sky, BBC Radio, MTV, London Live, independent TV production companies and many more .
To watch London360 and find out more information please visit our website: http://communitychannel.mediatrust.org/london360
Closing Date: 10am Wednesday 1st June 2016
Interviews: Must be available between 8th to 10th June 2016
Shadowing: Must be available for two days between 20th to 29th June 2016
Start Date: Monday 4th July 2016. Please note: due to the fast turnaround, we will need you to send across contact details for 2 references as part of you application as they may be contacted before your interview
How to apply
This scheme is open to 18-25 year olds who live in London only. The position is ideal for young college-leavers and graduates wishing to breakthrough into the media industry.
1. First download and complete the Equal Opportunities form (Doc, 36KB).
2. Create a blog or vlog about a local community story you would like to see covered on London360 and why (max: 300 words or 1 minute in length video).
3. Then email your blog/vlog, together with a CV and covering letter describing how your skills and experience match our requirements, together with the completed Equal Opportunities form and contact details of 2 references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the role you are applying for in the subject heading.
Media Trust is the UK's leading communications charity. We believe in the power of media to change lives. We work with the media industry to empower charities and communities to have a voice and be heard.