6 months ago
Job Title: Legal Course Content Creator
Reporting to: Legal Coordinator
Contract: Rolling contract - minimum commitment 3 months; voluntary basis
Hours: Course content creation: output oriented (as long as needed to create 2 hours of content); during course: 1 hour/week
Introduction to ConnectionHub
ConnectionHub provides connected learning opportunities to people in crisis and conflict contexts. We are part of a global volunteer network responding to the educational gap for sustainable livelihoods. Our aim is to reduce human suffering and exploitation through education and training for decent work and life. Through our student support network, we ensure students have the social support needed for student satisfaction and someone to facilitate their learning journey. Our pilot project, beginning in August 2020, will target refugees from Moria Camp on the Greek island of Lesbos.
ConnectionHub Communicating With Confidence Online Course
As part of our learning programmes we will provide a Communicating with Confidence course to our students with the aim of supporting them through their asylum application process. We acknowledge that there may be a lack of access to information and knowledge surrounding this process and the requirements and language barriers it entails.
We therefore aim to run this course to assist our students in developing their communication skills and understanding of the asylum interview process. This will assist them in navigating their asylum hearings, and ensure they feel prepared in presenting their case in a coherent and plausible form which suits the Western institutional context. We hope to empower them with knowledge of what to expect of the interview and their rights throughout, how to communicate their story confidently and to ensure they feel prepared psychologically for the demanding process ahead. We want our students to be equipped with the means to maximise their chances of application success therefore easing their anxiety surrounding the process and foster engagement in their education.
- To contribute content for a 12-week online course, ideally 4 weeks of module content.
- This content will be deliverable in a 30-minute interactive online lecture format.
- At the end of each module week there will be a 1 hour long online Q&A session in which students can ask questions about the module content.
- Working cooperatively in a team, addressing and acting on feedback students may give to their mentors.
Qualifications and Experience
- A dynamic and enthusiastic Solicitor/Barrister or an International Legal Adviser capable of providing expertise in the International Immigration sector.
- Extensive working knowledge of European asylum systems and the asylum interview process.
- Experience working with refugees or people of concern (PoC) and experience of sharing knowledge appropriately to maximise the service provided.
- Complying with accreditation and professional standards acclaimed internationally e.g IAAS/OISC.
- Understanding of and commitment to ConnectionHub core values and confidentiality clause.
- Knowledge and understanding of the needs and the complexity of issues faced by the refugees.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, demonstrating professionalism in all dealings. Able to deal sympathetically and appropriately with refugees and to show empathy with them.
- Able to communicate effectively with student refugees, answering individual questions in a manner that is generally useful to all students
- A self-starter, able to demonstrate high levels of initiative and motivation, but also work closely with other team members and displaying trust and loyalty.
- Able to motivate self and manage time effectively, working to set deadlines.
- Ability to work calmly under pressure and handle diverse range of issues during the Q & A session.
- Keeping up to date with changes in the law, in particular immigration, asylum and nationality law in question.
- Basic IT skills, especially in PowerPoint format, working knowledge of document management systems.
- Proficiency in other languages; desirable but not essential.
- Have access to a stable Wi-Fi connection.
Support for you
- Support of a team of established and committed volunteers.
- Ability to feedback at any time.
Please apply by sending a CV and covering letter, detailing your interest in the role, your relevant experience and evidence of how you meet our criteria to: email@example.com