almost 2 years ago
FoodCycle combines surplus food, volunteers and free kitchen space to create nutritious, three-course meals for the community.
We have 4 main aims:
- To strengthen communities
- To encourage friendships
- To improve nutrition and reduce hunger
- To change attitudes towards food and to reduce food waste
A FoodCycle project is where the magic happens. Each project is run on the ground by a team of 8 or more lead volunteers called Project Leaders, with each leader taking on a specific role to ensure the smooth running of their FoodCycle Project. These people are passionate, committed and want to make a positive change within their community, they take ownership of their project and make decisions about the day-today running of it.
About the role
As hosting leader, you'll act as the maître' d of the team, running your project's front of house and helping to create a warm, friendly atmosphere that will make both volunteers and guests want to return each week. Your team of volunteers will lay the tables, greet guests and serve the food - all under your guidance!
Skills you'll learn
- Teamwork: you'll work as part of a team to prepare a delicious meal and serve it to our guests.
- Hosting: you'll lead on 'front of house' duties, coordinating a team of hosting volunteers and making sure all our guests feel equally welcome.
- Leadership: we'll train you up to lead hosting sessions and how to induct new volunteers into the front of house.
- Safeguarding: you'll learn how to ensure that the safety of our guest and volunteers is always maintained and everyone acts within the correct boundaries.
- Relationship building: you'll be building lasting relationships with your guests and volunteers, ensuring they come back each week.
What to expect from FoodCycle
- Ongoing, regular visits, support and advice from your Regional Manager.
- A training conference to equip you for your role. Travel, accommodation and food cost covered by FoodCycle.
- Expenses covered in line with our volunteer policy.
- Training throughout the year
What's expected from me
We ask that Project Leaders stay with us for a minimum of 9 months, to enable them to get the most out of the role. As Hosting Leader, you will be expected to:
- Attend a monthly Project Leader meeting to discuss as a team how things are going.
- Lead a minimum of one session per month
- Follow all FoodCycle policies and procedures
- Complete a DBS check and attend safeguarding training
- Complete the project report on our website after leading a session
The suggested minimum time commitment to your role is 6 hours a month.
Please visit https://volunteer.foodcycle.org.uk/projectleader and complete the application form.