over 1 year ago
Volunteer Health Carer
A Charitable Organisation, based in London NW10 area is looking for Part - time Volunteer Health Carers /Befrienders to support our service users who live in the London boroughs of Ealing, Brent, and the environs.
We provide Volunteer Health Carers to help vulnerable persons who are isolated; such as the Elderly, Disabled persons, people with Long-term illnesses, as well as persons with mild Mental Health needs. Isolation can have negative effects on a person's mental and physical well-being. Many vulnerable persons in the UK spend long periods of time without speaking to anyone. Having someone to talk to, however brief, can uplift an individual's life. Therefore, your role as a volunteer carer would make a significant difference in improving the well-being of vulnerable people.
As a Volunteer, your duties would vary as per preferences of the service user and would include:-
- Befriending / Companionship e.g. popping in for a chat, watching TV, playing indoor games
- Taking the service user out for a short walk or bus rides
- Going out together for a meal or coffee, shopping trips or to cinema
- Participating in group outings organized for service users such as tea parties and picnics
- Accompanying the service user to GP or hospital appointments
- Help with cooking light meals and assistance with occasional light domestic duties such as washing up
Key Skills / Qualifications and Requirements:
- Must have current Enhanced DBS or willing to have one done, fees met by the Organisation
- Experience working as a Health Carer in a care setting such as Hospitals, Nursing/Residential Care Homes, Supported Living Projects and One-to-One would be an advantage
- Experience in befriending work would be an advantage but not essential
- Be a good listener and have good communication skills
- Be patient, caring, sympathetic and non-judgemental
- Fluent in English language, both written and spoken
- Be willing to give 1-3 hours per week
Candidate must be willing to commit to at least 6 months of active volunteering with the Organisation. The volunteer can be matched with more than one service user, if volunteer is willing and available to do so.
- Out of pocket expenses reimbursed
- Giving back and making a valuable contribution to the community
- Making new friends with various individuals from different backgrounds
- Opportunity for practical experience
Please send us your CV and covering letter ASAP to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only short listed candidates will be notified.