6 months ago
The Wilts & Berks Canal Trust is a charitable organisation working to restore, conserve and improve the route of the Wilts & Berks canal.
Role Title: Health & Safety Manager
Accountable to: The Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Purpose of role: The high level direction and supervision of a programme of work intended to ensure safe and healthy working for all the Trust's employees, volunteers and visitors.
Authority: The Health & Safety Manager is a full participating member of the Wilts & Berks Canal Trust's Executive Committee
Experience and Skills
The selected candidate for this voluntary role in the Canal Trust charity will have the following experience and skills:
- A demonstrable ability to devise and promote Health, Safety and Welfare policies and procedures that ensure the wellbeing of all the Trust's employees volunteers and visitors when they are engaged on the Trust's business.
- Effective management of continuing Health & Safety education and internal compliance at all levels in an organisation of at least comparable size and complexity.
- A demonstrable track record in managing an organisation's Health & Safety in compliance with the requirements of the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974.
- A knowledge of the requirements of the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015 including the responsibilities of the Client, the Principal Designer and the Principal Contractor.
- Working collaboratively within a management team to deliver optimised outputs.
- Proficiency in written English and mathematics, together with appropriate IT skills
- Major tasks and activities:
- Working with the CEO and other members of the Executive to devise and maintain Health, Safety and Welfare policies and procedures that will deliver a safe and healthy working environment for the Trust's workforce, contractors and visitors.
- Providing high level direction and support for Health & Safety Officers who are responsible for the safe delivery of work within the trust's five geographic branches.
- Liaison with the Health and Safety Executive.
- Maintaining a database describing the objectives and status of Health & Safety education and compliance within the Trust.
- Ensuring regular reviews of procedures, verification of their implementation and initiating change based upon lessons learnt.
- Engaging with a peer group of managers within the Trust's Executive to maximise the delivery of a safe and healthy working environment for all project work and ongoing maintenance.
- Identifying the requirements for suitably qualified volunteers who have had Health & Safety training and liaising with Human Resources to fill vacancies where necessary.
- Reporting to the CEO and the Executive in writing on a monthly basis.
- Raising exception reports whenever Health & Safety rules are broken and conducting investigations with the intent of prevented any recurrence.
- Attending the monthly meetings of the Trust's Executive to present a regular Health & Safety report and engage in discussions with peers to maintain best practise.
The Health & Safety Manager will need to interface with the following in the course of his/her duties:
- The Chief Executive Officer
- The Programmes Manager
- The Chief Engineer
- Branch Chairs
- Branch Health & Safety Officer
- The Health & Safety Executive
- The Inland Waterways Association
- Waterways Recovery Group
- The Trust's peers in other canal restoration enterprises
The Health & Safety Manager will be responsible for:
- Preparing Health & Safety budgets in collaboration with the Chief Engineer, the Head of Finance and the Chief Executive Officer
- Ensuring that the delivery of Health & Safety training and tasking proceeds in accordance with agreed budgets.
- Resources required:
- Effective and reliable home computing facilities including broadband internet access, email, word processing, spreadsheet and printer.
- Landline & mobile phone
This is a voluntary role, remuneration is limited to the reimbursement of expenses incurred in the performance of work for the Trust.
How to apply
Please send a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org