Reasonable expenses reimbursed
8 months ago
Role title: Volunteer group activities assistant
Remuneration: Unpaid (approved expenses reimbursed)
Commitment: Approx 2-3 hours per week or as required
Location: Southwark, including SE5, SE15, SE17, SE19, SE21, SE22, SE24
Reporting to: Volunteer Coordinators
About Link Age Southwark
Link Age Southwark provides friendly volunteer support to older people in Southwark. We provide oneto-one befriending, run activity groups across the Borough, provide practical support such as light gardening or helping with small odd jobs in the home, provide volunteer transport and organise intergenerational work with local schools. Our services are free to people in Southwark aged 60+ and we currently support over 500 older people.
We help to alleviate loneliness and support social networks which improve older people's quality of life.
We simply couldn't support so many older people in our local community without our fantastic 300+ volunteers! See our short film we had made by a volunteer film-maker
About the role of group activities assistant
More than 100 older people attend our groups weekly or fortnightly. We have over 20 groups offering a range of activities, all designed to increase social connection with the local community and to enhance wellbeing. The activities range from gentle exercise, singing, reminiscence to coffee mornings, lunch and bridge club. They are free to attendees of the group.
To sustain these activities, we rely on recruiting volunteers who can assist volunteers or professional tutors in providing a range of support, including (but not necessarily doing all activities):
- Setting up and clearing away activities (sorting that the rooms are set up appropriately and returned to their original state)
- Preparing and serving refreshments and clearing away
- Socialising with group members - keep the conversation flowing and check everyone is
- comfortable and happy
- Assisting in completing basic admin of groups to ensure that records of attendees are kept and that any donations as contributions towards refreshments etc are recorded and passed to Link Age Southwark in due course
- Assisting in publicising activities within the venue to attract more participants
Responsibilities and requirements:
- cheerful and friendly personality
- good English language and communication skills
- good physical health
- commitment, reliability, honesty and good timekeeping
- able to work independently
- attendance at our induction and relevant training
- complete a full DBS and references check
- sign a confidentiality agreement
- be empathetic towards the needs of older people
- patience and understanding
- understanding and commitment to working within the policies of Link Age Southwark, in
- particular health and safety, confidentiality, safeguarding and equality and diversity
- experience in MS Office and social media and website maintenance is desirable
What's in it for you?
This is a rewarding role on a number of levels:
- you will be gaining a new experience in your local community, joining and getting to know a great team of Link Age Southwark volunteers and staff
- you will play a direct part in helping to to alleviate loneliness and isolation of older people in Southwark
- you will receive a full induction from the charity as well as ongoing support and relevant training as required
- you will be entitled to claim reasonable expenses
- your CV will be enhanced and we can provide references after you have completed 4 months in a volunteering role with Link Age Southwark
How do I apply?
We would be delighted if you are interested in joining us as a general office volunteer. Please visit http://www.linkagesouthwark.org/volunteering.htm to download and complete an application form and return it to email@example.com. Alternatively call 020 8299 2623 and we will send you a full application pack.