about 2 years ago
Chickenshed is a theatre company based in Southgate and with a branch in Kensington and Chelsea. The company's vision is a society that enables everyone to flourish, and Chickenshed's mission is to create entertaining and outstanding theatre that celebrates diversity and inspires positive change.
For over 40 years Chickenshed has pioneered an inclusive performance methodology. As well as offering over 250 performances per year at our purpose-built theatre, Chickenshed is also an educational establishment delivering Level 3 and Undergraduate courses. With huge Children's Theatre and Youth Theatre membership schemes for 5 - 21 year olds and an ongoing programme of outreach projects working with some of the hardest to reach communities, Chickenshed is truly 'Theatre Changing Lives'.
Overview of Role
During the year we have a busy programme of shows and events including Jazz evenings and Comedy Nights in the Bar, Studio Theatre productions, Student and Membership shows, as well as our longest running show at Christmas in the Rayne Theatre.
The main purpose of our large Front of House team of Volunteers is to be the welcoming, friendly face of Chickenshed for our audiences and to help ensure the smooth-running of the Front of House operation - and thereby the performances - within a safe environment.
As an Usher, duties could include:
- Meet and greet - welcoming the public to the theatre
- Setting up a merchandise stand, stock taking and handling cash effectively
- Selling merchandise, programmes, ice creams and raffle tickets
- Checking tickets and directing the audience into the performance spaces
- Assisting the Duty Manager in accommodating late arrivals
- Encouraging the audience to comply with the venue rules
- Understanding and carrying out the Chickenshed evacuation procedure
- Reporting any customer care and Health & Safety issues to the Duty Manager
As a Fire Steward, in addition to the above, duties will include:
- Showing people to their seats
- Monitoring and responding to the behaviour of the audience during a performance
- Clearing the performance spaces after a show
- Collecting up litter
- Reporting any issues to the Duty Manager
- Warm and friendly personality
- Reliable and punctual
- A willingness to assist the Front of House team as required
- Sociable and enjoy working as part of a team
- Basic IT skills would be beneficial to receive emails
To operate within Chickenshed policies, procedures and organisational structures. Within the Front of House operation, all Volunteers, including Duty Managers and Assistant Duty Managers are managed by the Front of House Managers. Whilst on duty, the Volunteer Front of House Assistant is supervised by the Duty Manager assigned for a specific performance.
Fire Steward training is available.
Training in fire evacuation procedures is given
Times and Commitment
To arrive an hour before the performance begins and to be available until the end of the performance (normally 3 hours in total). There is no minimum requirement of hours. Rotas are based on the hours offered by the Volunteer.
To apply, please request an application form from Jenny Kettleton (Volunteer Coordinator) email@example.com