3 months ago
Type of role: Healthcare
Location: Zambia, Livingstone with weekly travel into rural villages
Duration: 2-6 Months
Application closing date: As soon as filled
Interview date: As soon as possible
Start date(s): Various throughout year (usually late January, April, August)
On Call Africa is a charity which aims to improve access to healthcare in rural Zambia. The objective of this role is to support in strengthening the access to the triage, assessment, and treatment through the local health system by taking a lead in the provision of mobile clinics and health awareness education. In addition to this you will be involved in capacity building of community health worker volunteers (CHWs) through 1-1 mentorship and group training. Where required you will review and update protocol manuals to ensure project guidance is up to date.
Working with a multi-disciplined team of between 3 and 8 clinicians with a range of experience from having recently completed foundation year 2 through to retirement. You will be based out of Livingstone and support a calendar of activity camping in more rural locations mid-week. You will be the type of person ready to embrace this opportunity both mentally and physically, adapting to a different way of life.
- Perform professional medical services in the examination, diagnosis, care, and treatment of physically ill patients, within the limits of experience and professional training.
- Determine patient medication needs, and provide generic drugs whenever appropriate, notifying the project team of additional drug stock requirements.
- For those patients, whose medical needs are beyond our scope of services or there is a medical emergency, make patient referrals to appropriate specialty services as arranged in protocols
- Provide appropriate patient instruction and/or consultation with family or significant other, as needed.
- Provide clearly written instructions for patients and be available to CHWs for direction, support, and clarification of the medical plan of care.
- Record examination, diagnosis and treatment notes, meeting record documentation requirements, ensuring these are also uploaded at the end of each week.
- As a team conduct at clinic and pre-arranged training, coaching and mentorship for CHWs.
- As a team plan the delivery of health awareness sessions during and or around clinic activity.
- As a team ensure equipment for voluntary activities is organised and ready each week.
- Support in the standardisation of patient diagnosis and treatment procedures and protocols in line with national guidance/standards
- Prepare and submit plans and handover notes to OCA, including documenting best practice, lessons learnt, and case studies.
- Attend team meetings as arranged
- Support the roll out, monitoring and evaluation of initiatives relating to OCA
Skills, qualifications, and experience
- Qualified medical professional (MD)
- Medical degree (MBBS or equivalent)
- In the UK you need to have completed FY2 prior to departure for this role
- Commitment to working as a team in an under-resourced environment
- Specialised in paediatrics, emergency care, general practice.
- Working knowledge and or an interest in Public Health.
- Prior experience in teaching and or mentoring
- Strong interpersonal skills and suitable character to work in a slow-paced environment which can be bureaucratic (requiring patience and tenacity)
- Conceptual and analytic thinking
- Initiative, self-motivation
- Ability to perform under pressure
- Good relationships management skills
- Ability to adjust and adapt easily to a new environment, culture, and situation; address multiple challenges and be able to work without much supervision
- A team player and able to work alongside their local colleagues in the spirit of partnership
- Proactive, supportive, and accommodative
In addition to the role description, If you have a significant current or past medical condition or you have general concerns about staying healthy as a volunteer you may wish to discuss your personal circumstances or health concerns in confidence with OCA before you apply for this placement. In this instance please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
How to apply