3 months ago
Type of role: Volunteer Development
Location: Zambia, Southern Province
Duration: 6-12 Months
Couples accepted: Yes
Start date(s): January 2021, July 2021
Provided: Accommodation, Flights, Insurance, and a stipend of £100 per month
Accountable to: Programme Lead
Responsible for: Programme volunteers
Application closing date: As soon as filled
Interview date: As soon as possible
On Call Africa is a charity which aims to improve access to healthcare in rural Zambia. OCA work with short term volunteer doctors who travel from the UK for upwards of three months and longer-term Zambian Community Health Worker (CHW) volunteers who live in rural villages throughout the southern province of Zambia.
Based in Livingstone, you will be responsible for understanding the motivations and needs of volunteers throughout their recruitment, onboarding, and coordination on the ground, offering support where it is needed. Working alongside a programme team you will help to ensure programme activity runs smoothly and take an active role in monitoring and evaluating the success of our volunteering program and other ongoing projects.
No one day or week, will be the same. Your role will often require long journeys into the bush where you will camp in remote communities for a week at a time with a team of volunteers. You will be integral to our mission, to improve the health of Zambians by empowering volunteers to take a lead in the provision of mobile clinics, health worker training and health awareness education.
- Lead, and coordinate teams of volunteer doctors and community health workers.
- Ensure volunteers receive the best possible application, onboarding, registration and in country orientation experience following OCA's volunteer user journey.
- Disseminate clear and timely information around upcoming actions and events to ensure volunteers remain informed, supported, and have a high satisfaction rating of their involvement.
- Keep accurate records of volunteer and volunteering activity using Better Impact (Volunteering CRM)
- Support the management of volunteer accommodation
- Support volunteers to capture data during clinics and share reports with local health centres and district health offices.
- Carry out monitoring and evaluation of specific projects.
- Develop the functionality of Better Impact to aid and improve the volunteer journey and monitoring and evaluation of volunteer involvement
- Support the programme team with day to day administrative tasks as required, including finances and volunteer expenses.
Skills and experience
- Strong interpersonal skills and suitable character to work in a slow-paced environment which can be bureaucratic (requiring patience and tenacity)
- Excellent communication skills
- Good relationships management skills
- An understanding of volunteer management
- Ability to work independently without close supervision.
- Proven ability to work flexibly as part of a small team
- Excellent organisational and record keeping skills.
- Competent IT skills, including the use of Microsoft Office
- Driving Licence
- Strong leadership skills
- Experience of working alongside volunteers within the third sector
- Experience of working with people from different cultural backgrounds.
- A clear understanding of volunteer management best practises
- A volunteer management qualification
- Previous monitoring and evaluation or research experience
- Familiarity with medical or development work in Africa
- Experience of managing finances, such as record keeping
In addition to the role description, If you have a significant current or past medical condition or you have general concerns about staying healthy as a volunteer you may wish to discuss your personal circumstances or health concerns in confidence with OCA before you apply for this placement. In this instance please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
How to apply