Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire
8 months ago
Stoke North Live at Home's aim is to prevent older people from being socially isolated in their homes by encouraging them to be socially active. We operate in the North of the city ie: Fegg Hayes, Norton, Smallthorne, and also Abbey Hulton.
You will have a named contact, usually the Manager of the Scheme.
You will provide transport for older people from their homes to a range of venues using your private car.
Overview of role
As a Volunteer Driver you will be responsible for the safety of the older people in your care. You will escort people from their homes into your car, and then take them to / from the agreed destination, and see them safely back into their home.
- Pick the older person up from their home at an agreed time and date to take them to their destination
- Help the older person access the car safely
- Drive in a safe and responsible manner
- Help the older person access their activity, and arrange a time to pick them up again afterwards
- report any concerns to the person who supports you e.g. if the older person does not answer the door, or you are concerned about someone you are transporting
- Check that your insurance covers transporting an older person as a volunteer driver, and provide copies of you insurance, driving licence and MoT certificate (if applicable) to your named contact on an annual basis, and inform us of any changes which may occur
- To be familiar with and to adhere MHA's Health and Safety Policies and policies relating to your volunteering role
- Inform your named contact at the earliest opportunity of any change in circumstances which affect your ability to continue with volunteering, such as holidays or periods of time you cannot volunteer
Skills and qualities needed for this role are:
- Good communication skills
- A clean driving licence
- An understanding of the needs of older people
- You will be reliable and punctual
- You will have a strong driving safety awareness
- You will enjoy working with older people
What training and support will be provided?
- We will provide you with a full induction for the role
- Training on safeguarding, health and safety and other training and updating of skills and knowledge relevant to the role as appropriate
- Ongoing support from a named contact
- Out of pocket expenses in accordance with MHA's Expenses Policy
Times and Commitment
We ask that you make a minimum of six months commitment to this role.
We ask you to be able to commit regularly to driving older people to the activities, as agreed with the person who supports you.
If you are interested in this role please contact Stoke North Live at Home 01782 816 662 or email firstname.lastname@example.org