4 months ago
Role: Volunteer Car Driver
Organisation: Voluntary Services Lewisham
Location: London Borough of Lewisham
Commitment: We ask for a minimum commitment of 3 hours per week over a 3-month period
Who are we?
Voluntary Services Lewisham (VSL) is an independent charity founded in 1969. We aim to help and support older people, vulnerable adults, people with physical disabilities, people experiencing mental health difficulties and children & families from disadvantaged backgrounds. We do this by providing befriending, mental health drop ins and transport services across the London Borough of Lewisham.
Purpose of role
VSL runs a transport project for Lewisham residents who have difficulty with or are unable to use public transport. Volunteer car drivers provide transport for service users to undertake social activities, doctors, shopping trips etc. These trips will be within the borough of Lewisham. At present we are supporting local GP's to help residents with limited or no mobility access their vaccination appointments.
We are looking for enthusiastic Volunteer Car Drivers with their own vehicles that must be of a roadworthy standard to join our team of committed volunteers. Can you help us to transport residents living in the borough of Lewisham? You must have a full and valid UK driving licence, with no endorsements (points). A valid Enhanced DBS check is also required; we are able to provide you with one if you do not have a valid check dated within the last 3 years. We are looking for volunteers who are able to commit a minimum of 3 hours per week for at least 3 months.
To carry out driving duties in compliance with VSL policies.
- To liaise with staff regarding transport requests and arrangements
- To collect monies from passengers where applicable
- Complete vehicle log sheets accurately and return them to the office
- Ensure your vehicle is roadworthy i.e. valid insurance, MOT and road tax
- Volunteer drivers are subject to a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
- Attend relevant training
We are looking for volunteers who have:
- A willingness to learn
- Empathetic and caring attitude
- Good interpersonal skills
- Committed and reliable
- A full clean licence
- Friendly and patient attitude
- Trustworthy and reliable
What can we offer you?
- Volunteer for an established and highly respected charity in Lewisham
- Develop new skills and build your confidence
- The opportunity to support your local community and to meet new people
- The opportunity to undertake training and to be a part of our volunteer family, (pre COVID we held annual volunteer social events)
- Improve your physical and mental wellbeing
- Volunteer in a different sector and learn how charities operate
- Discounts at over 500 local businesses through membership of the Lewisham Local card
To learn more about volunteering for VSL, please contact us.
How to apply
Please contact us if you require any further information on 020 8291 1747.
To apply please follow the link below to complete our application form: