about 1 month ago
Resources for Autism is a dynamic and practical organisation providing services for Autistic children, young people and adults and for their families and carers. Volunteers are an integral part of our service delivery and the support they provide through our Reach Out service makes an invaluable positive impact on the lives of the people they support.
Reach Out Befriender Role
To support an Autistic child, young person or adult and their family, helping them to gain confidence, new skills, reduce isolation and become more engaged with their local community. The volunteer will carry out their volunteering from the family home and activities will depend on the age and the needs of the person.
- To form a positive relationship with the person and their family, and help support develop their child's communication and interaction
- Support the development of positive activities that are relevant to the age of the person.
- In communication with the family, provide additional support on practical issues e.g. accessing local amenities, developing new skills, using public transport, transitions, planning and gaining new experiences.
Key areas of support are needed in Barnet, Brent followed by Camden, City of London, Ealing, Hammersmith and Fulham, Harrow, Kensington and Chelsea and Westminster.
Around 2 hours a week for 6 months (to then review with volunteer and family) - weekends, evenings and some opportunities on weekdays.
Skills and Experiences
Previous experience of working with people with additional needs is not required, we are looking for the following qualities and skills:
- Reliability and resilience
- Enthusiasm and a creative approach to solving problem and ideas for practical activities.
- A non-judgemental approach in working with others
- Effective Communication skills and a professional approach to volunteering
- Confidence in working with new people and situations
What we offer
Induction training, ongoing training and support, opportunities for further development and references.
This is a very rewarding role and a great opportunity to make a real positive difference.
This role will also be rewarding for you. As well as supporting families, you will be learning and developing new skills and meeting people from diverse backgrounds.
Get in Touch
TPP Recruitment is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.