Reasonable expenses reimbursed
about 1 year ago
min 6 months
Role title: Volunteer Befriender
Remuneration: Unpaid (approved expenses reimbursed)
Commitment: 6 months (minimum ideally), Approx 1.5 hour per week (plus additional training)
Location: London Borough of Southwark, including SE5, SE15, SE17, SE19, SE21, SE22, SE24
Reporting to: Volunteer Coordinators
About Link Age Southwark
Link Age Southwark provides friendly volunteer support to older people in Southwark. We provide oneto-one befriending, run activity groups across the Borough, provide practical support such as light gardening or helping with small odd jobs in the home, provide volunteer transport and organise intergenerational work with local schools. Our services are free to people in Southwark aged 60+ and we currently support over 500 older people.
Our aim is to alleviate loneliness and support social networks which improve older people's quality of life. We also support people with early stage diagnosis of dementia or their carers. We can provide specific support for applicants interested in this work.
We simply couldn't support so many older people in our local community without our fantastic 300+ volunteers! See our short film we had made by a volunteer film-maker www.linkagesouthwark.org
About the role of volunteer befriender
Demand for our befriending service is growing, as we receive more and more referrals from social services, GPs, concerned friends and families. To meet this demand we are keen to recruit enthusiastic and friendly volunteers to join our existing team of volunteers. The role involves:
- giving one hour a week to visit and have chat and a cuppa with an older person - maybe you
- could go out for a short walk or a local shopping trip
- encourage an older person to join in other activities
- if you like you can befriend someone with mild-moderate dementia who is living independently in the community - training will be provided *
Responsibilities and requirements:
- cheerful and friendly personality
- good spoken English and communication/listening skills
- commitment to visiting an older person for 1 hour weekly for a minimum of 6 months
- good timekeeping
- attendance at our induction and relevant training*
- complete a full Disclosure Barring Service and character references check
- be empathetic towards the needs of older people
- patience and understanding
- understanding and commitment to working within the policies of Link Age Southwark, in particular health and safety, confidentiality, safeguarding and equality and diversity
- desire to support someone with dementia to live a happy, healthy life*
- Weekday/daytime availability will usually result in a quicker matching process, although we accommodate most volunteers' availability with a match, eventually.
* you will receive dementia awareness training at the induction and there is a programme of training throughout the year including Dementia Friends, first aid.
What's in it for you?
This is a rewarding role on a number of levels:
- you will be gaining a new experience in your local community, joining and getting to know an older person and a great team of Link Age Southwark volunteers and staff
- you will be playing a vital part in easing loneliness of an older person and help them get the best from life
- you will receive a full induction from the charity as well as opportunities to take part in relevant training and ongoing support from Link Age Southwark
- you will be entitled to claim reasonable expenses
- your CV will be enhanced and we can provide references after you have completed 4 months in a volunteering role with Link Age Southwark
How do I apply?
We would be delighted if you are interested in joining us as a volunteer befriender. Please visit www.linkagesouthwark/volunteering to download and complete an application form and return it to email@example.com. Alternatively call 020 8299 2623 and we will email you a full application pack