almost 3 years ago
Role: Volunteer Assistant to the Artistic Director
Supported by: Artistic Director
Main Purpose: To provide effective administrative support
Chickenshed is a theatre company based in Southgate, North London, and with a branch in Kensington and Chelsea. The company's vision is a society that enables everyone to flourish, and Chickenshed's mission is to create entertaining and outstanding theatre that celebrates diversity and inspires positive change.
For over 40 years Chickenshed has pioneered an inclusive performance methodology. As well as offering over 250 performances per year at our purpose-built theatre, Chickenshed is
also an educational establishment delivering Level 3 and Undergraduate courses. With huge Children's Theatre and Youth Theatre membership schemes for 5 - 21 year olds and an ongoing programme of outreach projects working with some of the hardest to reach communities, Chickenshed is truly 'Theatre Changing Lives'.
Overview of Role
We are looking for a highly efficient, organised and resourceful individual with a keen interest in theatre who is able to provide administrative assistance to the Artistic Director (AD).
This is an excellent opportunity for someone wishing to gain valuable insight and experience of the theatre industry and to develop their career administrative and management skills with an award-winning theatre company.
Responsibilities & Duties
To assist the AD in coordinating the programming function across the theatre and performance division
To confidently articulate externally and internally the artistic policy created by the AD
To provide administrative support to the AD which may include:
- Assisting the AD with the coordination of internal meetings
- Some basic, initial research of other productions, potential projects, scripts and artists
- Following through to maintain and cultivate relationships with internal and external contacts, such as agents and other professional partners
- Supporting the AD in maximising opportunities to exploit Chickenshed's theatre work
- Supporting the AD in maintaining a close relationship with Chickenshed's marketing and PR teams in terms of on-going and planned programmes
- Filing and organisational planning as required
Skills / Personal Qualities
- Education to degree level
- A passion for the arts and a willingness to embrace the inclusive ethos of Chickenshed
- Ability to work with complete discretion and confidentiality
- Good negotiation skills and diplomacy
- Determined and inventive approach
- Well organised, efficient and accurate
- Excellent computer skills
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
To operate within Chickenshed policies and procedures, including health and safety, equal opportunities, confidentiality and safeguarding policies
Help and support will be given as necessary
Times and Commitment
This is a voluntary position for someone who can ideally, spare one day per week (or two half days). Your contribution will be greatly appreciated and will make a real impact on the work of Chickenshed.
To apply for this role, please email Jenny Kettleton (Volunteer Coordinator) on JennyK@chickenshed.org.uk