about 1 year ago
The Multi-Story Orchestra is looking for several new Trustees to join our Board.
The Orchestra is going through a period of rapid expansion, having recently secured funding to employ its first full-time member of staff, and with ambitious plans to expand its presence around the UK. In line with these developments, we are looking to grow our Board and appoint several new Trustees.
About The Multi-Story Orchestra
The Multi-Story Orchestra presents extraordinary performances in unexpected settings. From car parks to schools and festivals, they create amazing live classical music experiences performed by incredible musicians.
Winners of a 2016 Royal Philharmonic Society award, the Orchestra has been celebrated as one of the most exciting ensembles to emerge in recent years, and their 2016 BBC Proms debutperformance was widely critically acclaimed:
"joyous and expert music-making" ***** The Times.
The Orchestra was started by composer Kate Whitley and conductor Christopher Stark. They have worked with their major partner Bold Tendencies since 2011, performing at Bold Tendencies' home in Peckham on the disused top four floors of the municipal car park. The Orchestra performs orchestral and chamber concerts across the summer as well as running workshops and performing with local schools and community groups in Peckham:
"anyone who doubts the value of music education should get themselves down to this concrete jungle
and watch its effects in action" The Telegraph.
Beyond London, the Orchestra is currently working with Aldeburgh Music in Ipswich and in Birmingham with Town Hall Symphony Hall, and is supported by The Paul Hamlyn Foundation in expanding their work around the UK:
"they play heroically, they play loudly, and they'll play anything…The response was ecstatic, and it deserved to be" The New York Times.
The Multi Story Orchestra is a Community Interest Organisation and became a registered UK charity (no. 1155847) in 2014.
We are looking for up to four Trustees to join our Board of friendly and committed Trustees. This is an exciting opportunity for those seeking to make a real difference in transforming perceptions of classical music.
We are looking for individuals who share our belief in the power of classical music to bring together people and communities through shared experiences, meaningful communication and personal interactions. We are looking for people from a diverse range of backgrounds and experiences with the energy and vision to make a serious contribution to the success of the Orchestra.
We are particularly keen to add the following areas of expertise to our Board:
- Developing new business models and partnerships
- Branding and communications
- Planning and property (with regards to securing unusual spaces for performances)
- Local knowledge of Peckham and the surrounding areas
- Helping to develop our network of supporters and individual donors
We are looking for people who, as well as bringing expertise in the areas listed above:
- Are committed to the mission and values of The Multi-Story Orchestra
- Understand and accept the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of being a Trustee including good governance, ensuring the Orchestra is complying with its constitution and charitable objectives, and that it is complying with all legal and regulatory requirements
- Will have responsibility for effective and responsible fundraising
- Will act as an ambassador and where possible, open doors and help the charity to grow its networks and contacts
- Will actively contribute to the strategic direction of the organisation
- Can contribute ideas and contacts in developing our network of partners, supporters and individual donors
These are voluntary/unpaid positions and all Trustees are asked to commit to the following:
- To attend four Board meetings a year in London. The trustees meet on a quarterly basis
- To attend selected Multi-Story Orchestra performances and events
- To provide advice and guidance to staff as required
If you are interested in being considered as a Trustee, please email Laura Sheldon (email@example.com) with a CV and an accompanying letter explaining why are you interested in becoming a Trustee of The Multi-Story Orchestra by Monday 18 September 2017.