over 2 years ago
The Royal Medical Benevolent Fund is the leading UK charity for doctors, medical students and their families. Next year we are celebrating 180 years of providing support, money advice and information when it is most needed due to age, ill health, disability or bereavement.
We are very fortunate to have a high profile and dedicated trustee board which includes senior representatives from across the medical profession. We are looking for two additional trustees to join our board and help provide strategic direction to the charity. One ideally will include a practising GP, but we are also looking for a range of other skills and experience within the medical profession.
Minimum time commitment
Trustees are expected to attend an induction session at RMBF offices in Wimbledon prior to their first Board meeting, and in addition are offered the opportunity to attend a Case Committee. The post includes:
- attendance at four trustee meetings which usually take place in London
- the provision of additional support (usually by phone or email) around specific areas of expertise
- invitation to the annual general meeting (AGM) of RMBF, which takes place during the day in September
- attending ongoing governance and trustee training sessions as required, and to keep skills current.
Our trustees must have:
- a commitment to the objects and goals of RMBF
- a willingness to meet the minimum time commitment
- strategic vision
- a willingness to actively contribute at meetings
- an understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities, and liabilities of trusteeship
- an ability to work effectively as a member of a team and to take decisions for the benefit of RMBF
Duties of our trustees
The duties of an RMBF trustee board trustee are to:
- Ensure the RMBF pursues its charitable objectives in ways which are relevant and appropriate for doctors, their families and medical students
- Contribute actively to the Board by providing strategic leadership to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals, and evaluating performance
- Safeguard the RMBF’s reputation, in particular by ensuring it operates legally and ethically, within its constitution; by ensuring the success of its charitable work; and by ensuring that it remains financially viable.
For information, other committees supporting the RMBF are:
- the Case Committee which meets at RMBF offices in Wimbledon
- the Finance Committee which meets in December, March and June immediately preceding the Board
- the Compliance and Staffing Committees meet in June and March respectively
For more information on our work, please visit our website:
For more information on the role of trustee, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply, please send your CV with a covering statement by the closing date of Friday 30 September to email@example.com
Interviews will take place on Tuesday 11 October during the afternoon.