over 2 years ago
Active Prospects is passionate about independent living – our 250 staff work together with 300 people who need support each year, such as vulnerable adults and people with disabilities to facilitate their choice, freedom and control over their lives, and to achieve aspiring things.
We are currently looking for Trustees to join our Board; specifically a trustee from an HR background, a trustee who has a strong commercial background, a Trustee with marketing experience and people who have experience of the social care sector particularly in learning disabilities and mental health. You will help shape and deliver our new forward plans. These are voluntary roles although reasonable travel expenses will be payable. The time commitment is up to 8 late afternoon/evening meetings a year (the main board meeting plus one sub-committee), plus an annual Strategy Away day usually held on a Saturday.
Board role description and person specification
The following qualities and skills are sought in all Active Prospects Board Members. Overall a willingness to work together as part of a Board committed to helping Active Prospects achieve its aims is critical.
- Commits to Active Prospects’ vision, mission and values and working in ways that demonstrates this.
- Communicates this enthusiasm to others and represents the Organisation positively to internal and external audiences.
- Understands and accepts the legal duties, liabilities and responsibilities of Board Members and is clear on the difference between governance functions and management functions. Previous Board experience is desirable.
- Works well as part of a diverse team of Board Members , and is able work in a consensual way
- Good awareness of the relevant political, social and economic landscape.
- Communicates well, with excellent leadership and interpersonal skills, able to both empower and challenge supportively.
- Well networked and engages with contacts and/or fulfils an ambassadorial role for the benefit of Active Prospects.
- Understands of the context in which Active Prospects works (and a willingness to learn more) with an interest in enabling People We Support live aspiring lives.
- Willing to devote the necessary time to the role and to visit Active Prospects’ services.
- Attends at least 75% of Board and other meetings to which they are invited.
- Ensures they read all the papers and prepares for all meetings that they are invited to attend.
Term of office
The term of appointment is for three years with the possibility of renewal for a further two terms of three years. Board Members work on a pro bono basis, and are asked to give around 8 days a year to Active Prospects.
To apply for the role, please send your CV and a brief supporting statement to firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: 01293 825 824
17 Massetts Road
A Community Benefit Society (26618R) with charitable status.