10 months ago
Getting on Board is a national charity which supports individuals to join charity boards, and supports charities to recruit trustees effectively. We work with hundreds of potential trustees, charities and employers including King's College London, M&G and Allen & Overy. We have a particular focus on trustee diversity, aiming to support more women, younger people and people of colour to join charity boards.
There are an estimated 100,000 vacancies for charity trustees in the UK and three quarters of charities say that they struggle to recruit board members. Without effective trustees, charities cannot thrive.
We are now looking to recruit new trustees to our own board. Trustees are unpaid board members and help to set the direction of a charity and to ensure that it is doing what it was set up to do. You would be joining Getting on Board at an exciting time in our development.
Who we need
We are particularly looking for the following skills, knowledge and experience (we don't expect to find all of these skills in one person):
- Digital communication and marketing. We would like to bolster our expertise in digital marketing to market our services more systematically, OR
- Corporate Social Responsibility because our contacts within our employer partners are often CSR colleagues, so we wish to develop our understanding of responsible business strategies and priorities, OR
- Impact/campaigning: so that we can better map our impact to ensure that our interventions are as effective as they might be, as well as campaigning around the benefits of more diverse trusteeship, OR
- Someone well networked within the charity funding or charity infrastructure world. We are looking for someone from a grant-making trust or from another charity infrastructure body to support us with our networks and understanding in those areas.
We do have some expertise in these areas already on the board but since they are strategically important, the charity would benefit from further and varied expertise in those areas. We hope to recruit at least two trustees.
It is not necessary to have previous board/trustee experience as support will be provided.
We would like to maintain the diversity of our board and therefore would particularly like to hear from women, people of colour, younger people, disabled people and other under-represented groups.
We usually meet quarterly for two hours in central London (currently weekdays, early evening). Meetings are currently virtual to maintain social distancing. Trustees also support strategic development remotely through virtual sub-committees, networking and supporting the CEO. The estimated time commitment is 60 hours a year.
The roles are unpaid but we will pay reasonable travel expenses.
What's in it for you?
- Make a significant difference to charity board effectiveness and diversity, and therefore to the strength and resilience of the country's charities.
- Use your existing skills, knowledge and networks to support Getting on Board, while improving your own skills, knowledge and networks.
- Work alongside a committed and varied team of trustees all striving to grow Getting on Board's charitable impact.
- Feel great by giving back!
How to apply
You can find out more about us on our website at www.gettingonboard.org/jobs
To apply, please send your CV plus a cover letter telling us why you are interested in applying and what you would bring to Getting on Board, to Penny Wilson, CEO at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 29th May 2020.
We expect to hold interviews remotely the week of 15th June 2020.