8 months ago
Each year VoiceAbility supports 30,000 people across England to speak up, to be heard, and to have their rights and choices respected. We support people who face disadvantage or discrimination to address life-changing issues, overcome barriers, and change their lives. Our services are offered to people who have mental health needs, learning disabilities, dementia, autistic spectrum disorders, children who use care services, people with physical impairments, and to carers of these people. We also influence legislative and policy change, ensuring that the voices and rights of people using social care and long-term health services are reflected in this.
This will be a rewarding opportunity for you to work with people who are aligned to our mission to strengthen people's voices, support their rights, and change lives. Your work will empower thousands of people across England and help to build stronger communities.
We are seeking up to three highly talented individuals. Commitment to VoiceAbility's aims, working collegiately with a diverse Board, and an understanding of the difference between governance and management are essential. In addition, we are especially keen to recruit people who bring at least one of the following:
- Senior level finance experience: Strong financial skills and full accountancy qualifications. For example, you may be a CFO, Partner in a major accountancy firm, or similar, or on your way to such roles OR
- Demonstrable commercial acumen: Our strategy is to diversify our services so as to provide a greater range of support to people who face disadvantage and discrimination. We are looking for a Trustee who can challenge and support us to do this successfully, with the greatest impact and in a way that promotes the financial sustainability of the organisation. Therefore, the successful candidate will have a demonstrable commercial acumen, together ideally with experience diversifying and innovating an organisation's services and experience developing and marketing new products OR
- Digital transformation experience: At its core, the operating model for the majority of our services has been relatively unaffected by technological change. We want to explore how better use of technology can enable us to deliver our existing and new services more effectively and efficiently. Therefore, we are looking for a Trustee who can stimulate and challenge the Board's thinking about VoiceAbility's future delivery models and products.
Other attributes candidates will ideally have:
Non-Executive Board level experience: The ideal candidate will have prior experience as a Non-Executive Director or charity Trustee.
- Empathy with VoiceAbility's values and aims
- Strategically oriented and able to contribute to the Board in setting and reviewing long term strategy.
Teamwork and collective responsibility
- Commitment to effective co-production including with people who have experience from using services, people who have professional experience and people who have both.
- Cabinet responsibility discipline. You must be prepared to accept majority Board decisions, even if you do not agree
- Ability to weigh complex information and form sound judgements from this.
- Understanding and acceptance of the duties of a Trustee in charity law and acceptance of the roles and responsibilities of a Company Director.
Doing the right thing the right way
- Utmost integrity. You must make your decisions based on the best interests of the charity.
- Commitment to comply with the Nolan Principles of Public Life.
Board meetings alternate between central London and Cambridge. Trustees may travel from time to time to events and services in other locations in England.
Circa 8-12 days per year, including 4 Board meetings (currently alternating between central London and Cambridge), sub-committee meetings, Board strategy day, and site visits.
Trustees will be expected to join one sub-committee of the Board. There are currently three sub-committees covering:
- Audit and Risk
This role is an unremunerated voluntary position. Travel expenses can be reclaimed in line with VoiceAbility's policies.
How to apply
Please visit https://www.voiceability.org/news/could-you-be-our-new-trustee for the full candidate pack and application form. Please send your completed application form, along with your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 17 June.
- Deadline for applications: 17 June
- Shortlisted candidates can expect to hear by 21 June
- Interviews are expected to be held on 27 June
If you wish to have an informal discussion about the opportunity, have any queries on any aspect of the appointment process, or need additional information please contact Claire Lines at email@example.com or on 077700 141 06.