9 months ago
The Royal Medical Benevolent Fund is the leading UK charity for doctors, medical students and their families. We provide support and advice to members of the medical profession and their dependents at times of crisis and serious need. We have made significant progress over the last few years growing our reach and increasing our impact. As the medical profession continues to change, we want to build on our successes, and continue to meet new and emerging needs.
We are very fortunate to have a high profile and dedicated trustee board which includes senior representatives from across the medical profession. We are looking for an additional trustee to join our board and help provide strategic direction to the charity.
We would like to ensure the continued diversity of our Board, and so ideally applicants should have direct knowledge of the challenges currently facing the NHS. As well as relevant experience within the medical profession, expertise in the following areas would also be of interest:
- volunteer development
- and political/government environment
Minimum time commitment
Trustees are expected to attend an induction session at RMBF offices in Wimbledon prior to their first Board meeting, and in addition are offered the opportunity to attend a Case Committee. The post includes:
- attendance at four trustee meetings which usually take place in London
- the provision of additional support (usually by phone or email) around specific areas of expertise
- invitation to the annual general meeting (AGM) of RMBF, which takes place during the day in September
- attending ongoing governance and trustee training sessions as required, and to keep skills current.
Our trustees must have:
- a commitment to the objects and goals of RMBF
- a willingness to meet the minimum time commitment
- strategic vision
- a willingness to actively contribute at meetings
- an understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities, and liabilities of trusteeship
- an ability to work effectively as a member of a team and to take decisions for the benefit of RMBF
Duties of our trustees
The duties of an RMBF trustee board trustee are to:
Ensure the RMBF pursues its charitable objectives in ways which are relevant and appropriate for doctors, their families and medical students
Contribute actively to the Board by providing strategic leadership to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals, and evaluating performance
Safeguard the RMBF's reputation, in particular by ensuring it operates legally and ethically, within its constitution; by ensuring the success of its charitable work; and by ensuring that it remains financially viable.
For information, other committees supporting the RMBF are:
- The Grants and Awards Committee which meets at RMBF offices in Wimbledon
- the Finance Committee which meets in December, March and June immediately preceding the Board
- the Compliance Committee which meets in June
- the Staffing Committees which meets in March
For more information on our work, please visit our website: www.rmbf.org
For more information on the role of trustee, please contact Michelle Zal, Administration Manager at email@example.com or call 020 8545 8444.
To apply, please send your CV with a covering statement by the closing date of midday on Monday 10th June to firstname.lastname@example.org
Interviews will take place on the 18th June.