3 months ago
Volunteer Trustee with Property focus
The Helen Taylor Thompson Foundation (operating as CAN) is a registered charity trading as a social enterprise earning income in direct pursuit of our aims. We help other charities and social ventures thrive, grow and maximise their impact, and strive to achieve this by offering business support, capital and flexible affordable space.
We run five serviced offices in Central London that house around 1,300 individuals from 170 exclusively social organisations. In the last 10 years we have grown our asset base from zero value to a current value of over £40m with turnover just under £6m. All surpluses are re-invested in pursuit of our objectives to grow social impact.
This is a pivotal time to join the organisation as we are currently going through an exciting period of significant change and growth as we evolve into a Foundation that generates its funds from the direct pursuit of its charitable objectives rather than from an endowment.
We have recently merged with Education Saves Lives (formerly Thare Machi Education), a charity spreading basic health and wellbeing education throughout the world's poorest communities using DVD's and the web to deliver lessons in local languages.
We are currently re-shaping our Memorandum and Articles of Association to focus our impact, reviewing our Governance arrangements, working with the team to assess our existing Mission, Vision and Values, growing our Board skills and at the same time completing a £50m building development to future proof the home for our Southwark based community.
To be the Trustee with lead oversight of property for CAN. The principal task of the Board of Trustees overall is to ensure that CAN operates efficiently and effectively to fulfil its charitable objectives
What difference will you make for us?
- Oversight of the Foundations' property portfolio
- Lead the development of the Foundations' property assets in pursuit of its
charitable objects, including overseeing the development of our Southwark
- Chair the Property Subcommittee
- Ensure CAN continues to pursue its purpose of supporting social organisations
- to maximise their impact through the offer of premises, skills and finance
- Ensure that CAN effectively applies its resources (financial and otherwise) to
delivering its mission
- Develop and live the vision and values of CAN
- Ensure that CAN meets all its legal requirements
- Contribute actively to the Board of Trustees' role in shaping strategic direction
of the organisation, framing and reviewing policies
- Act as an ambassador of the Foundation in the service of its purpose, vision and
Please send a supporting statement and your CV to Therese Williams at email@example.com
CAN strives to be an equal opportunity employer. We particularly welcome applications from ethnic minority groups and from people with disabilities.
Closing date: 05 July 2020