Skipton, North Yorkshire
11 months ago
Save our Babies is a Skipton based organisation that has been set up to fund research into repairing forms of brain damage that occur shortly before or at birth. The two main forms of brain injury we will focus on are Periventricular Leukomalacia (the most common cause of Cerebral Palsy) and Hypoxic Ischemic Encephalopathy. These diseases can lead to infant mortality and often lead to a variety of serious lifelong problems for those that survive.
We are initially teaming up with a research group in Edinburgh University who are researching ways to cure Cerebral Palsy. The money we will raise will go towards paying for staff and lab equipment so they can continue their research in this field. Save Our Babies is a new organisation that is trying to expand and become a registered charity and it needs to recruit trustees in order to do this. We are looking for a treasurer to help manage the finances of the charity and to ensure all transaction are recorded correctly.
Your role would include the following duties:
- To ensure that the charity complies at all times with its governing document, charity law and any other relevant legislation or regulations.
- To ensure that the charity pursues its objects as defined in its governing document.
- To ensure proper systems for budgeting, financial control and reporting to be in place.
- To help formulate procedures to reduce the risk of fraud.
- To make sure the charity is spending money in line with its objectives and governing document.
- To ensure that all trustees and volunteers are kept properly informed about the organisations financial position. Any reports given to the chair or other trustees must be clear and concise.
- To make sure that an accurate and timely set of accounts are produced at the financial year end.
- To maintain a set of accounts throughout the year that show all the transactions of the charity in a clear and orderly fashion.
- To promote the charity and to safeguard the good name and values of the charity.
- To act in the best interests of the charity, never in the interests of yourself or another organisation.
- To attend and to actively participate in board meetings and to prepare appropriately beforehand.
- As this organisation is new you would be involved in a variety of other tasks to begin with such as helping with fundraising and the day to day management of the organisation. This would include tasks such as organising events, doing community-based fundraising (collection tins etc) and helping to complete grant applications.
Skills and experience needed
- Great organisational skills
- Good writing skills
- Good attention to detail
- Enthusiasm and commitment
- Must be honest and trustworthy
- Good independent judgement
- Must be punctual
- Demonstrable commitment to the aims, objectives and work of the charity
- Willingness to devote the necessary time and effort to attend meetings
- Experience within a finance role and knowledge of double entry bookkeeping
For more details or to apply for the role, please email Elliot O'Shea at firstname.lastname@example.org or call on 07806 606 605.