almost 3 years ago
Who We're Looking For
The Helen Taylor Thompson Foundation is seeking a Trustee experienced in banking and finance, specifically Capital Markets, raising of debt and structured capital.
Trustee Role Description
The Statutory Duties of a Trustee
- To ensure that the organisation complies with its governing document, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations.
- To ensure that the organisation pursues its objects as defined in its governing document.
- To ensure the organisation uses its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects: the charity must not spend money on activities which are not included in its own objects, no matter how worthwhile or charitable those activities are.
- To contribute actively to the board of trustees' role in giving firm strategic direction to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
- Ensure that the Board of Trustees is monitoring performance through reports provided by the Chief Executive and senior staff.
- To safeguard the good name and values of the organisation.
- To ensure the effective and efficient administration of the organisation.
- Work within the Board of Trustees to ensure future sustainability in terms of the impact of activities against assessed need, and financial sustainability.
- To protect and manage the property of the charity and to ensure the proper investment of the charity's funds
- To appoint the chief executive officer and monitor his/her performance.
In addition to the above statutory duties, each trustee should use any specific sills, knowledge or experience they have, to help the Board of Trustees reach sound decisions. This may involve:
- Fulfil the role of adviser to the Board for approval of debt raising and structured capital
- Scrutinising board papers
- Taking part in discussions
- Focusing on key issues
- Providing guidance on new initiatives
- Other issues in which the trustee has special expertise
This particular role requires the candidate to be
- Financially and commercially qualified and experienced
- Able to advise the Board and CE on negotiating complex financial instruments and restructuring
As a member of the Board of Trustees, you will carry the duties of the post with tact, diplomacy and confidentiality.
Trustee Person Specification
- Commitment to the organisation: especially an understanding of and a commitment to the values of not for profit organisations and especially the principles of The Helen Taylor Thompson Foundation
- Willingness to devote the necessary time and effort to the development of the organisation: an appreciation of the impact the organisation is already making, and sharing a passion for supporting people who would most benefit from its work
- Able to contribute strategically across a wide range of issues
- Work in partnership with the Chair and Chief Executive to ensure that the organisation has a clear vision, mission and strategic direction and that the organisation, the trustees and the Chief Executive are focused on achieving these
- Ability to think creatively
- Willingness to speak their mind
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- A collaborative team player with a proven track record of sound judgement and effective decision-making
- Act as ambassadors for Helen Taylor Thompson Foundation, and influence and network with our stakeholders, in service of our mission, vision and values
- Trustees serve a three-month probation
- Trustees serve a three-year term and will be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term.
- The Board currently meets four times a year plus a strategy day, and meetings are held during the working day at our Borough office and this commitment may increase slightly with the creation of a small number of Board committees.
- Trustees are expected to attend all meetings unless there are exceptional circumstances.
- Meetings with external stakeholders as and when appropriate
- Trustees are expected to attend training sessions as appropriate to their role, experience and expertise
How to Apply
If you are interested in joining the Helen Taylor Thompson Foundation as a Trustee and have the skills and experience to support and help further develop our organisation, please send us:
- A supporting statement (no more than 1- 2 x A4 pages): demonstrating how your experience meets the criteria for this role, and crucially, your motivation for applying for the role;
- A current comprehensive CV, including details of two referees (who will not of course be contacted without your prior knowledge and consent).
- A covering letter (no more than 1 x A4 pages): demonstrating how you meet the essential criteria as set out in the Person Specification - outlining why you are interested in working for The Helen Taylor Thompson Foundation.
Please submit your completed application to Therese Williams at email@example.com
Therese Williams, CAN Mezzanine, 7/14 Great Dover Street, London, SE1 4YR.