about 1 year ago
The Helen Taylor Thompson Foundation (operating as CAN) is a registered charity trading as a social enterprise earning income in direct pursuit of our aims. We help other charities and social ventures thrive, grow and maximise their impact, and strive to achieve this by offering business support, capital and flexible affordable space.
We run five serviced offices in Central London that house around 1,300 individuals from 170 exclusively social organisations. In the last 10 years we have grown our asset base from zero value to a current value of over £40m with turnover just under £6m. All surpluses are re-invested in pursuit of our objectives to grow social impact.
This is a pivotal time to join the organisation as we are currently going through an exciting period of significant change and growth as we evolve into a Foundation that generates its funds from the direct pursuit of its charitable objectives rather than from an endowment.
We have recently merged with Education Saves Lives (formerly Thare Machi Education), a charity spreading basic health and wellbeing education throughout the world's poorest communities using DVD's and the web to deliver lessons in local languages.
We are currently re-shaping our Memorandum and Articles of Association to focus our impact, reviewing our Governance arrangements, working with the team to assess our existing Mission, Vision and Values, growing our Board skills and at the same time completing a £50m building development to future proof the home for our Southwark based community.
CAN's vision is for a strong and impactful social economy that creates a better society.
To deliver our vision for the public, our mission is to support social organisations to maximise their impact, sustainability and where appropriate, growth. We deliver on this mission by addressing the three key barriers Premises, Skills and Finance.
Collaborative - Generous in sector support we work collaboratively, sharing skills and knowledge to achieve.
Restless - Driven with a creative hunger we challenge norms, harnessing passion and energy to deliver
Inclusive - Approachable, flexible and caring, we have faith in people, respect individuality and give a voice
Bold - We take risk, act transparently with integrity, honesty and courage to challenge and be heard
Job title: Trustee - Finance focus
Location: Central London (Borough)
Board meetings per year: Four Board meetings, one strategy day, Finance Subcommittee meetings (tba)
Time commitment: Approximately one day a month
Remuneration: This role is unremunerated. Travel expenses as well as other out of pocket expenses directly incurred as part of official Trustee business will be reimbursed
To be the Trustee with lead oversight of financial accounting for CAN. The principal task of the Board of Trustees overall is to ensure that CAN operates efficiently and effectively to fulfil its charitable objectives.
What difference will you make for us?
- Oversight of budgets, accounts, financial statements and financial reports which are presented to the Board of Trustees
- Ensure that appropriate accounting procedures and controls are in place to safeguard CAN's assets as we continue to grow
- Chair the Finance Subcommittee
- Ensure CAN continues to pursue its purpose of supporting social organisations to maximise their impact through the offer of premises, skills and finance
- Ensure that CAN effectively applies its resources (financial and otherwise) to delivering its mission
- Develop and live the vision and values of CAN
- Ensure that CAN meets all its legal requirements
- Contribute actively to the Board of Trustees' role in shaping strategic direction of the organisation, framing and reviewing policies
- Act as an ambassador of the Foundation in the service of its purpose, vision and values
To take up the critical role of Trustee, individuals need to be engaged and motivated in the work and mission of CAN. Commitment, engagement and reliability are crucial to fulfilling your responsibility as a Trustee. Key attributes are:
- A chartered accountancy qualification with experience in accounts and audit at a senior level in a commercial organisation
- Sound independent judgement, strategic vision and the ability to think creatively
- An ability to contribute to strategic board discussions in a collegiate yet robust manner
- A wholehearted commitment to the values, purpose and vision of CAN
- A strong social impact focus coupled with strong financial acumen and business understanding
- A positive view of collaboration between charities and social enterprises to grow the impact of the sector
- Commitment to the organisation and a willingness to devote the necessary time and effort
- A willingness and creative hunger to challenge norms
- A faith in people that respects their individuality and gives them a voice
Please send a covering letter and your CV to Therese Williams, firstname.lastname@example.org