3 months ago
Trees for Cities is a national and international charity that engages local people and volunteers to plant and protect trees and green spaces in towns and cities. We cultivate lasting change in urban neighbourhoods by revitalising forgotten spaces, creating healthier environments and getting people excited about growing and eating healthy food.
We are currently seeking a new Trustee with significant experience in schools and education (particularly primary schools) to join our Board.
We have undergone significant organisational growth and development over recent years and have an ambitious and exciting new strategy to deliver.
In addition to the skills, experience and qualities required of all Trustees (as outlined in The Responsibilities section below), this role will specifically help advise, appraise and guide the management team and Board of Trustees in relation to the organisation's schools programmes and strategy.
Trees for Cities has a rapidly growing portfolio of schools programmes and projects. Our Edible Playgrounds programme, which creates engaging, multi-sensory spaces to teach children about growing and eating healthy food, has grown significantly over recent years and we have an ambitious plan to reach 250 primary schools by 2025. Our new Planting Healthy Air programme, which aims to improve the localised air quality in some of the most polluted schools in the country, is also gaining significant interest and momentum. We also undertake a range of other school greening projects and are developing new programmes with institutional funders.
This role will support the strategic development and opportunities of our schools work as it rapidly grows and develops.
- To agree on and monitor Trees for Cities' strategic direction (and specifically in relation to our schools programmes) and ensure that it pursues its objectives in keeping with these strategic directions;
- To ensure that the organisation functions within the legal, charitable and financial requirements of a charitable organisation, pursues its objects and strives to achieve best practice;
- To act in the interests of Trees for Cities' objects;
- To safeguard the good name, ethos and values of the organisation;
- To ensure the effective and efficient administration of Trees for Cities;
- To ensure the financial stability of the organisation and the proper investment of funds in accordance with Trees for Cities' stated aims and objectives and relevant legislation;
- To use any specific skills, knowledge and experience to help the Board of Trustees reach sound decisions (this will include the scrutiny of proposals, leading and initiating discussions, providing advice or guidance on new initiatives and utilising any specialist expertise and experience);
- To chair and/or attend relevant subcommittees of the Board.
- Significant experience of and interest in the schools and education sector, preferably within primary schools;
- Good communication skills;
- Personable with good team skills;
- Good financial analysis skills.
- Experience of the environmental sector;
- Experience of being a charity trustee or company director;
- Experience of strategic or business planning.
Quarterly board meetings and (potentially) subcommittee meetings in London (generally Wednesday afternoons); ad hoc meetings and events, as required.
This is a voluntary position, but reasonable expenses are reimbursed.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying (or would like to learn more about the role), please email firstname.lastname@example.org including a CV and short covering statement.
We have an open recruitment process for this role and so will consider applications as they are received.