8 months ago
Thrive is looking to recruit a new Trustee to join the Board as Chair of the Finance Committee (Treasurer). The Board provides strategic oversight of the organisation and works with the Chief Executive and Senior Managers to deliver Thrive's Strategy to widen the reach of our services and build our financial health.
Thrive is the leading charity in the UK that uses gardening to bring about positive changes in the lives of people who are living with a disability or ill health, or are isolated, disadvantaged or vulnerable. We are a professional, caring and down-to-earth organisation, with committed staff supported by a wonderful cohort of volunteers.
Established in 1978 as the Society for Horticultural Therapy, Thrive is a company limited by guarantee and a registered charity. Each Trustee of the registered charity is also automatically a Director and Board Member of the company.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for a qualified accountant who has experience of charity finances/accounting and can provide leadership and support to the non-financial Trustees on the Board.
We also need an individual who can wholeheartedly endorse and support the aims and principles of Thrive. This does not mean you need to be an expert in horticulture or have experience of working with disabled, disadvantaged or vulnerable people to join the Board, although that could help. We are particularly keen to hear from people from the Midlands area.
Above all we are looking for someone who shares our passion for using gardening to improve the lives of others and who is willing and able to commit around 1 day per month to work with us to achieve our goals.
Thrive will provide, or meet the costs of, any appropriate training to ensure that you are equipped to execute your role as a Trustee.
What is expected of a Thrive Trustee?
The key responsibilities are, with the other Trustees, to hold the charity "in trust" for current and future beneficiaries by:
- ensuring that Thrive has a clear vision, mission and strategic direction and is focused on achieving these;
- being responsible for the performance of Thrive and for its "corporate" behaviour;
- ensuring that Thrive complies with all legal and regulatory requirements;
- acting as guardians of Thrive's assets, both tangible and intangible, taking all due care over their security, deployment and proper application;
- ensuring that Thrive's governance is of the highest possible standard.
- The specific duties of the Chair of Finance Committee include:
- overseeing the preparation of budgets, accounts and financial statements and presenting financial reports to the Board
- being assured that the financial resources of the organisation meet its present and future needs, and advising on the financial implications of the organisation's strategic plans
- ensuring that the charity has an appropriate Reserves Policy and Investment Policy.
- To find out more about Thrive and the role of Trustees …
- Please download our Trustee Role Profile Guide and the Role Description for the Chair of Finance Committee.
How To Apply
To apply, please send you CV and a covering lettering setting out why you are interested in the role and what you can bring to the Board, to Faith Ramsay, Chair of the Board of Trustees, and Kathryn Rossiter, Chief Executive:
Faith Ramsay: email@example.com
Kathryn Rossiter: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please contact Kathryn on 0118 988 5688 if you would like to have an initial chat about Thrive and the role of the Trustees.