30 days ago
RMBF - Vacancies of the Board of Trustees
The Royal Medical Benevolent Fund is the leading UK charity for doctors, medical students and their families. We provide support and advice to members of the medical profession and their dependents at times of crisis and serious need. As the medical profession continues to change, we want to build on our successes, and continue to meet new and emerging needs.
We are looking for two additional trustees to join our board and help provide strategic direction to the charity. In particular, we are looking for:
- A qualified lawyer with significant relevant experience to assist the Board with governance, and the staff team with general legal issues as they arise, as well as understanding of the challenges currently facing the medical profession.
- A marketing expert with:
- demonstrable experience of utilising social media channels to grow awareness and engagement with target audiences
- experience of developing marketing strategies and market research projects
- strong communications expertise and digital marketing techniques
- an understanding of the challenges currently facing the medical profession.
Minimum time commitment
Trustees are expected to attend an induction session with RMBF staff, and a Grants and Awards Committee meeting, prior to attending their first Board meeting. The post includes:
- attendance at four trustee meetings, currently taking place via Zoom, but usually in central London
- the provision of additional support (usually by phone or email) around specific areas of expertise
- invitation to RMBF's AGM, which takes place during the day in September
- staff/trustee strategy days (approximately every other year)
- attending ongoing governance and trustee training sessions as required, and to keep skills current.
Our trustees must have:
- a commitment to the objects and goals of RMBF
- a willingness to meet the minimum time commitment
- strategic vision
- a willingness to actively contribute at meetings
- an understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities, and liabilities of trusteeship
- an ability to work effectively as a member of a team and to take decisions for the benefit of RMBF
Duties of our trustees
The duties of an RMBF trustee board trustee are to:
- Ensure the RMBF pursues its charitable objectives in ways which are relevant and appropriate for doctors, their families and medical students
- Contribute actively to the Board by providing strategic leadership to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals, and evaluating performance
- Safeguard the RMBF's reputation, in particular by ensuring it operates legally and ethically, within its constitution; by ensuring the success of its charitable work; and by ensuring that it remains financially viable.
For information, other committees supporting the RMBF are:
- The Grants and Awards Committee which meets at RMBF offices in Wimbledon
- The Finance Committee which meets quarterly immediately preceding the Board
- The Compliance Committee which meets in June
- The Staffing Committees which meets in March
- The Nominations Committee which meets in March, and as needed
For more information on our work, please visit our website:
Closing date - 17.00 on Friday 22nd October
- Shortlisting - the week commencing 25th October
- Interviews - Thursday 4th November, Central London location
For more information on the role of trustee, please contact Michelle Zal, Administration Manager and Committee Secretary, at email@example.com .To apply, please send your CV with a covering statement by 17.00 on Friday 22nd October to firstname.lastname@example.org.