about 1 month ago
Trustee for Bracknell Shopmobility
Do you have change management skills and enthusiasm to transform the governance and operation of our organisation, to serve the mobility needs of people in Bracknell Forest?
Bracknell Shopmobility exists to enable residents and visitors to Bracknell with limited mobility to fully access the town centre easily and effectively.
The charity, first established in February 2004, hires mobility scooters and associated equipment, offers social contact and advice to people with disabilities, carers and family. The Unit is well-situated in Princess Square, Bracknell, which is part of the next-stage redevelopment of the town centre.
Our total income in 2019 was nearly £62k, and while we have been historically funded by the local authority, we need to be fully independent by early 2021. We currently have sufficient financial Reserves but cannot diminish those too much.
Our Board meets every two months, with the four existing trustees also somewhat involved in operations in the shop. The Unit has reopened after lockdown with limited capacity and now needs to consider how the charity will deliver its full range of services, as well as grow to generate funds for this much-changed future.
Why are we looking?
Our four trustees have been with the organisation for some time and welcome new ideas, new support, especially for marketing and sales of our operation, revised fundraising and ways to increase and improve the offer to our Members and to the public.
We are a charity not a business, but we want you to help us apply good business principles in governing our organisation.
We welcome potential trustees with change management and business transformation skills and ideas. Ideally, we are looking for trustees to bring your understanding of good practice in any one or more of these areas:
- Income generation
- Employee management & HR
- Governance, particularly of non-profit organisations
Of course, we welcome potential trustees with ideas and expertise, which could be from a variety of backgrounds, including but not exclusively from the business world. We want to expand the diversity of our board, in all meanings of the term.
The focus of a trustee role is strategic and trustees will not be involved in the organisation's operations on a day-to-day basis; however, regular contact and liaison with the organisation's employees and other trustees is expected. Trustees that are willing to assist with operational duties, including fundraising, digital management, etc., are most welcome, but those tasks are clearly not seen as charity governance.
What do you get as a volunteer trustee for Shopmobility?
- An opportunity to exercise your strategic skills in one or more of those areas shown, possibly in a different environment or context
- A chance to expand and implement your understanding of a public-facing charity retail operation and how it will need to change in the near-term and for the future
- A chance to augment your experience of charities
- A boost to your career and CV, if needed
- Satisfaction of helping an organisation that supports people with disabilities and access difficulties, thus giving something back to your community
- Induction training from us; training, support and assistance from our local support & advice agency
What do we get?
- Your skills, knowledge, understanding or experience, ideally in one of those areas with which we most need assistance: income generation, sales, funding, marketing, HR, digital, governance - we don't expect one person to have all of those, though!
- Your abilities to help our charity change and grow in line with our strategic plans (Summary Business Plan and recent Accounts available to interested applicants)
- Enhancement to our governance and the Board of Trustees; improvement in our charity governance and operational growth
- Your participation in our collective decision-making, contributing to all areas of our charity work
- Qualifications in any of the stated areas of our need could be useful but are really not a requirement
- Your enthusiasm
What do our beneficiaries get?
- Potentially, more and better services and support for people with disabilities, their family and carers
- A well-governed charity, financially sustainable for the future with continued appropriate growth
- An organisation surviving in this changed world, post Covid-19
- A forward-looking and agile organisation, with a well-informed and more-diverse Board of trustees
How do I apply?
You can arrange to have a no-obligation informal discussion with involve Community Services, a charity-support organisation who are managing this appointment for us.
You will need to be eligible to be a charity trustee & company Director, which we will explain.
Information for prospective trustees, including a full Role Description and Person Specification can be obtained from firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your CV or application will be read by Bracknell Shopmobility's trustees and an interview offered to exceptional candidates as soon as mutually-convenient.
Mike Allen email@example.com can arrange to discuss this role via phone/Zoom/Teams/Meet