25 days ago
The Caxton Youth Club aims to offer young people a safe space in London, where they can come to make and meet their friends. Our priorities are inclusion for young people with physical and/ or learning disabilities who live in Westminster, many of whom are from Arabic communities.
As a trustee you will be someone who can contribute to the board and the governance of the charity as a whole and also, provide strategic and occasional operational advice to the board and senior management. More specifically we are looking for a trustee to join our board who also can provide knowledge of Arabic culture and history, ensuring governance reflects the community we serve.
The duties of all trustees are as follows.
- Ensuring that the organisation pursues its stated objects (purposes), as defined in its governing document, by developing and agreeing a long-term strategy
- Ensuring that the organisation complies with its governing document (its memorandum and articles of association), charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations
- Ensuring that the organisation applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its charitable objects (ie the charity must not spend money on activities that are not included in its own objects, however worthwhile or charitable those activities are) for the benefit of the public
- Ensuring that the organisation defines its goals and evaluates performance against agreed targets
- Safeguarding the good name and values of the organisation
- Ensuring the effective and efficient administration of the organisation, including having appropriate policies and procedures in place
- Ensuring the financial stability of the organisation
- Protecting and managing the property of the charity and ensuring the proper investment of the charity's funds
- Following proper and formal arrangements for the appointment, supervision, support, appraisal and remuneration of the chief executive (if the charity employs staff)
In addition to the above statutory duties, as a trustee, you should use your specific skills, knowledge and experience to help the board of trustees reach sound decisions. This may involve scrutinising board papers, leading discussions, focusing on key issues, providing advice and guidance or other issues in which the trustee has special expertise.
- A knowledge and understanding of Arabic cultures.
- A commitment to the organisation
- A willingness to devote the necessary time and effort
- Strategic vision
- Good, independent judgement
- An ability to think creatively
- A willingness to speak their mind
- An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- An ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- A commitment to Nolan's seven principles of public life: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership.
How to apply
If you would like to apply for this role, please send a CV and cover letter (or a request for further information or an informal chat) to firstname.lastname@example.org