about 1 year ago
The Royal Medical Benevolent Fund is the leading UK charity for doctors, medical students and their families. We provide support and advice to members of the medical profession and their dependents at times of crisis and serious need. We have made significant progress over the last few years growing our reach and increasing our impact. As the medical profession continues to change, we want to build on our successes, and continue to meet new and emerging needs.
We are very fortunate to have a high profile and dedicated trustee board which includes senior representatives from across the medical profession. We are looking for an additional trustee to join our board and help provide strategic direction to the charity. As well as enthusiasm for our charitable objectives, we are looking for applicants with financial skills and investment management experience, including investment strategy.
Minimum time commitment
Trustees are expected to attend an induction session at RMBF offices in Wimbledon prior to their first Board meeting, and in addition are offered the opportunity to attend a Grants and Awards Committee. The post includes:
- attendance at four Trustee meetings which usually take place in London
- attendance at three Finance Committee meetings, which take place in December, March and June immediately preceding the Board
- the provision of additional support (usually by phone or email) around specific areas of expertise
- invitation to the annual general meeting (AGM) of RMBF, which takes place during the day in September
- attending ongoing governance and trustee training sessions as required, and to keep skills current.
Our trustees must have:
- a commitment to the objects and goals of RMBF
- a willingness to meet the minimum time commitment
- strategic vision
- a willingness to actively contribute at meetings
- an understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities, and liabilities of trusteeship
- an ability to work effectively as a member of a team and to take decisions for the benefit of RMBF
Duties of our trustees
The duties of an RMBF trustee board trustee are to:
- Ensure the RMBF pursues its charitable objectives in ways which are relevant and appropriate for doctors, their families and medical students
- Contribute actively to the Board by providing strategic leadership to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals, and evaluating performance
- Safeguard the RMBF's reputation, in particular by ensuring it operates legally and ethically, within its constitution; by ensuring the success of its charitable work; and by ensuring that it remains financially viable.
For information, other committees supporting the RMBF are:
- The Grants and Awards Committee which meets six times a year at RMBF offices in Wimbledon
- the Compliance Committee which meets in June
- the Staffing Committees which meets in March
For more information on our work, please visit our website:
For more information on the role of trustee, please contact Michelle Zal, Administration Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 8545 8444.
To apply, please send your CV with a covering statement by the closing date of midday on Monday 18th November to email@example.com Interviews will be held during the last two weeks of November.