25 days ago
Endometriosis UK is the largest UK charity for those with endometriosis. Endometriosis UK works to:
- Provide support to those with endometriosis and their families and friends
- Provide clear, objective information about the condition and its treatments
- Raise awareness amongst health professionals and the general public about the condition
- Support research into endometriosis.
This is an unpaid role. Reasonable pre-agreed travel expenses will be paid.
- five meetings a year (including preparation for meetings, reading papers etc) + attendance at an annual strategy day and AGM.
- Trustees have the opportunity to take part in Board sub-groups and project groups to develop aspects of the organisations' work; please note the Treasurer chairs the Finance Sub Committee (5 meetings per year) and provides additional support to CEO around budget-setting etc
- Trustees are also invited to attend Endometriosis UK events.
- We also particularly welcome applications from trustees from a range of backgrounds and experiences as part of our commitment to diversity.
- Trustee Person Specification
- Each trustee must have:
- strategic vision
- commitment to Endometriosis UK, its mission, vision and values
- willingness to devote the necessary time and effort to be an effective trustee
- good, independent judgement
- willingness to speak their mind and ability to provide effective support and challenge in a board setting
- ability to think creatively and imaginatively
- understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- an ability to work effectively as a member of a team and to take decisions for the good of Endometriosis UK
- we will prioritise those applications with experience in one of the areas listed below.
Charity income generation and fundraising
Legal or HR
Volunteer management - and/or experience of volunteering for Endometriosis UK's support network
Volunteer management - or experience of volunteering as part of Endometriosis UK's support network
Experience of managing volunteer programmes or networks and good understanding of policy and best practice in relation to volunteering
Experience as a volunteer for Endometriosis UK's support network
Experience of senior roles in charities and good understanding of good practice in charity management.
Further information about Endometriosis UK's governance and Board of Trustees
Skill set required by Endometriosis UK Board of Trustees
Endometriosis UK has undertaken a skills audit and considered the ideal make-up of the Board of Trustees. Our ideal board would include the following skills and experience - those in bold are areas we are prioritising in this recruitment round:
- Strategic planning
- Charity finance and audit and risk management
- Marketing and communications with a particular emphasis on awareness raising and digital communications
- Income Generation/Fundraising
- Lived experience of endometriosis (including the perspective of younger people) and experience as a partner/carer/family member of someone with endometriosis
- Female health (especially endometriosis, fertility, pain management) in secondary and primary care settings
- Legal - in relation to Endometriosis UK's work
- Volunteer Management - or experience of volunteering with Endometriosis UK's support network
- Charity management
- Health policy and political campaigning
- Having networks of influential contacts able to support Endometriosis UK
The ideal board would also be diverse and this diversity will be guided by the definitions of the nine protected characteristics as set out in Equalities Act 2010 (age; disability; gender reassignment; marriage and civil partnership; pregnancy and maternity; race; religion or belief; sex; sexual orientation) and also include geographical diversity with representation from around the UK and, in line with the Charity Governance Code, also consider backgrounds, life experiences, career paths and diversity of thought).
One Trustee may have the required skills in more than one area but the overall membership of the Board should provide the necessary skills in all these areas. We particularly welcome applications from trustees from a wide range of backgrounds in line with our commitment to ensuring that our board is diverse.
Board meeting schedule
These are held at five times a year, currently a mix of half day meetings on Saturdays in London and telephone meetings in the evening although trustees are consulted in advance of setting the annual meeting schedule to ensure that it is convenient to the majority. Trustees are able to join some meetings via video or telephone conference facilities if they are not able to attend in person. In addition, the board holds a Strategy Away-Day each year. All trustees are also expected to attend the AGM of the charity and, where possible, training or fundraising events held on occasion throughout the year.
You can find out more about the Endometriosis UK trustees at https://www.endometriosis-uk.org/trustees-2014
Closing date for applications - 9am on Monday 11th November
Please send completed applications by email to email@example.com or by post marked for the attention of Angela Style, Chair, Endometriosis UK, 75 Gloucester Place, London W1U 8JP.