6 days ago
The charity Lewisham Citizens Advice Bureau is a member of the national Citizens Advice (CitA) organisation. We deliver free, impartial and confidential advice to those who live, work or study in the London borough of Lewisham.
We are currently seeking a number of trustees to join our dynamic charity board.
We are a highly engaged board who is passionate about ensuring our charity makes a big difference to Lewisham residents, especially to the most vulnerable people. We work in a collegiate way, respecting the diverse viewpoints board members bring to the table and hold ourselves to high professional standards.
General Trustee duties and responsibilities:
- Each individual member of the Trustee Board has a responsibility to contribute to the discharging of the board's duties. They do this by:
- Governing the charity in the best interest of the clients and in line with the governing documents
- Actively contributing to setting policy and strategic direction, defining goals, setting targets and evaluating performance and ensuring effective oversight of the charity's activities. This includes visiting Citizens Advice Lewisham to get to know the team and being aware of the service in action.
- Taking responsibility for their own learning and development
- Monitoring whether the service complies with its governing document and how well the advice needs of the local community are being met
- Supporting the development of Citizens Advice Lewisham through agreed projects and managing risk
- Maintaining confidentiality about any sensitive or confidential information received
General Trustee skills and qualities:
- Ability to meet time commitment
- Commitment to clients and ensuring the impact of Citizens Advice Lewisham in the local community.
- Ability to fulfil governance role, specifically to manage risks, ensure oversight and strategic development of the charity.
- Effective communication skills and willingness to participate actively in discussion
- Willingness to gain knowledge of local needs and resources
- Commitment to the aims, principles and policies of the Lewisham CAB service, including those relating to equal opportunities, independence, and research and campaigns
- Ability to understand and accept their responsibilities and liabilities as Trustees and employers
- Willingness and ability to learn and to develop
- Ability to think creatively and strategically, and exercise good, independent judgement
- Ability to build productive respectful relationships with other Trustees, staff and volunteers
- Willingness to actively participate in discussions concerning needs of the charity's beneficiaries, staff and the Trustee board
- Willingness to act in the best interest of the charity
- Sound, independent judgement and ability to think creatively
- Working effectively as a team member and demonstrating a willingness to learn and develop
Time Commitment and availability to attend required meetings:
- Quarterly evening Trustee Board meetings (each 2½ hours plus prep)
- One annual Trustee Board awayday (weekend - 5 hours plus prep)
- Liaison with Chair, CEO and colleague Trustees by phone, e-mail or Skype (occasional)
- Day-time visits to our offices to understand our work and engage with staff/volunteers (occasional)
- Two annual stakeholder events (one evening event, one mid-week all-day event)
- Join a subcommittee (up to 4 meetings a year)
- Where required, leading independently on key projects.
- Additional meetings and day time visits to the Citizens Advice Office as needed
We seek candidate Trustees from all backgrounds so that our board represents the diversity of our community. We welcome applications from all candidates regardless of ethnicity, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religion.
As services are delivered in a small geographic area applicants should ideally live, work or study in, or near, Lewisham or have some local knowledge of the area.
How to apply
Application: Please send us a CV and application form highlighting relevant skills and experience you will bring to the role along with a completed application form.
Contact: Annmarie Booth, email@example.com
Closing date: 29 April 2018
Interviews: 8, 10, 14 May 2018
Other dates for your diary:
16 May Full Trustee board meeting, 16 June trustee away day.
If you would like to have a conversation with someone about this role, please get in touch with Annmarie who can set up a chat with the Chair or CEO.