20 days ago
North Paddington Foodbank is an evolving dynamic charity providing emergency food to local people experiencing temporary food crisis. Our mission is to provide an accessible service to meet the immediate needs of the local people.
North Paddington Foodbank has been set up to help address 'hidden hunger' and issues about the lack of food which affects 'thousands of people in crises across the UK' with a particular emphasis to support the people in North Paddington. The trustees of the North Paddington Foodbank share in the vision of 'creating a nation where no-one has to go hungry' and join the collective effort to make London a Zero Hunger City.
You will be a key member of our committed Board, made up of a team of hard working and passionate professionals who share the vision of, 'North Paddington, A place where no-one goes hungry'.
As an ambassador and champion of North Paddington Foodbank you will be required to attend bi-monthly Board meetings and sit on the Finance Sub-committee. On occasion, the Board may hold additional meetings to which you would be invited to attend if available.
- To provide guidance and advice on all aspects of NPFB's financial management, control systems and reporting
- Budget and Strategic Financial planning
- Staff Pensions
- Reserves policy
- Annual Statutory financial reporting
- Overseeing and presenting budgets, internal management accounts and annual financial statements to the board of trustees;
- Leading in the board's duty to ensure that proper accounting records are kept, financial resources are properly controlled, invested and economically spent, in line with good governance, legal and regulatory requirements;
- Leading in the development and implementation of financial reserves and cost‐management;
- Liaising, where applicable, with the appropriate member of staff responsible for the financial activities of the organisation;
- To sit on and lead the finance sub-committee
- Monitoring and advising on the financial viability of the charity;
- Overseeing the implementation of and monitoring specific financial controls and adherence to systems;
- Advising on the financial implications of the charity's strategic plan;
- Overseeing the charity's financial risk‐management process;
- Acting as a counter signatory on charity finances as required; and board‐level liaison with the external auditors on specific issues such as the Auditors' Management Letter, Charities annual accounts and the related board representations.
Qualities of a Trustee
We are looking for an experienced professional with knowledge in developing and implementing financial systems such as budgets and cashflows, within either a private or Third Sector setting. Integrity and a commitment to the organisation and its objectives are also key qualities we are seeking.
- Someone with strong financial skills /income-generation knowledge and/or business development background or having run a medium size business.
- An understanding of the UK charity sector, good governance, Charity Commission, relevant legislations and statutory requirements.
- An understanding of the challenges facing small to medium UK charities inmaximizing income streams & donor cultivation.
- Experience of diverse financial practices, including statutory funds, corporate and philanthropic giving would be valuable.
- Excellent networking skills, influencing and communication skills.
- Knowledge of the voluntary sector.
- A thorough understanding of the Code of Financial Practice.
- Lives in the local community
- Bi-monthly board meetings (currently)
- Annual strategy day
- Actively participate as a sub-committee member and attend specific meetings as of when necessary
- Optional attendance at special events such as fundraising functions.
- Trustee training attendance
This is an opportunity to be part of a thriving, well respected and truly grass roots charity. Our trustees, staff and volunteers are a dynamic team, always open to additional input and expertise.
This is an opportunity to influence an impactful charity at a strategic level.
To apply for the role please submit your CV with a cover letter to Phyllis@npfoodbank.org.uk
Interview date TBC.