about 1 month ago
Age UK Enfield (AUKE) is a local charity working to support, advise, connect and inspire older people in Enfield.
We are looking for a new Treasurer to join our board of Trustees. The role's purpose is:
- To advise and inform the Trustees with regard to their responsibilities for the finances of the charity.
- To oversee the financial affairs of Age UK Enfield and ensure they are legal, within the constitution and within accepted accounting practices.
- To work with the Chief Executive Officer to provide the most efficient and effective management of the charity's financial resources.
- To ensure the charity adheres to its principal activities and core values.
We are particularly interested in hearing from candidates whose backgrounds reflect the diverse population in Enfield.
Background, History, Governance
Age UK Enfield is a local independent charity, which is affiliated to the national Age UK charity, and part of the federation/network of local Age UKs. Notwithstanding these affiliations, Age UK Enfield is responsible for raising its own funds.
Age UK's roots in the UK started in the 1940s as the Old People's Welfare movement, becoming Age Concern and then, in 2009, Age UK. Local borough-based Age Concerns were gradually set up from the 1940s till the 1980s. Age UK Enfield is the operating name of Age Concern Enfield.
Age UK Enfield's affairs are governed by the Board of Trustees, who are volunteers. The trustees are responsible for:
- Strategic direction of the charity;
- Stewardship of resources - e.g. finances and employment of staff;
- Upholding legal obligations e.g. under charity and company law, employment and Health & Safety;
- Upholding contractual and regulatory requirements.
The current Board includes: people with knowledge and operational experience of working with older people; legal, medical and other professional qualifications; governance and management experience; knowledge of the local area. There is also a majority of older people and diversity of backgrounds among Board members.
Age UK Enfield's reach and size is demonstrated by the following metrics:
- Turnover of £1.3million
- Around 30 Full Time Equivalent staff;
- 100 volunteers;
- Around 7000 older people supported each year.
Age UK Enfield services
Age UK Enfield is the leading local voluntary and community sector provider of services to older people in the borough.
Among the services are:
- Information and Advice - on benefits and services;
- The Parker Day Centre - supporting people with dementia and their carers;
- Fit for Life - an exercise programme of over 20 classes and walks each week for all abilities;
- Navigation - helping people get services, and navigate the NHS and social care, supporting those with frailty, dementia or at risk of falls;
- Pop up social groups like memory clubs, tea and chatter, a dementia choir;
- Home care and help;
Age UK Enfield's turnover is about £1.3million. Money is spent on delivering services through costs of staff wages, premises, volunteer costs (expenses, support and training), telephones/IT, stationery, insurance, audit etc.
Age UK Enfield's main sources of income are:
- Enfield Council grants and contracts;
- The NHS - North Central London Clinical Commissioning Group;
- Trusts and foundations;
- Older people (or their families) buying services - home care, day care, exercise classes;
- Donations and legacies.
More widely, many of Age UK Enfield's services are delivered in partnership with other organisations including Enfield Council, NHS commissioners and trusts, Enfield Voluntary Action, Enfield Over 50s Forum, Enfield Disability Action, Enfield Carers Centre, Community Barnet, Citizens Advice Enfield, Healthwatch Enfield, and Attend.
How to apply
Applicants should complete a Trustee Application form, which is available on our website here: https://www.ageuk.org.uk/enfield/about-us/news/articles/2021/we-are-recruiting-a-treasurer/
If you would like an informal talk with the Co-Chairs of the Board of Trustees before you make your application, please contact Sandra Kirwan at firstname.lastname@example.org or Elaine Adkin at email@example.com