11 months ago
On Road is looking for a Treasurer to join its Board
About On Road
On Road is an award-winning charity that tackles social problems by improving media coverage of misrepresented groups and issues. We work towards long term narrative change by informing everything we do with research that tells us which stories are most effective to create positive social change for people.
We support people with first hand experience of the issues to do safer, more strategic media work, whether in front of the camera or behind the scenes, bringing them together with the media to inspire fresh and nuanced content with a focus on popular culture.
We are looking for candidates who are excited by the opportunity to work with a small and innovative charity and who share our passion for the work. Trustees take ultimate responsibility for the work that the organisation does, and the way in which it spends money, to achieve its aims. It is a large responsibility, focusing on the strategic direction of the organisation, agreeing plans and budgets, and holding the Chief Executive to account for the delivery of the plans.
We estimate the equivalent of one day per month time commitment. The full Board meets once each quarter for an average of 2 hours.
Outside of these meetings the CEO will liaise with Board members to ensure they are kept up to date with developments and to consult on particular areas of expertise. As Treasurer, the CEO may organise more structured meetings to discuss specific matters directly.
Board members may also be asked to represent On Road at meetings with potential funders or influencers, or to attend or work alongside staff at events and receptions. There may be sub-committees with authority delegated to them by the Board and meeting at other intervals.
Terms of office
Trustees stand for terms of three years, with the chance to be re-elected for a further two consecutive terms of three years (maximum term is nine years). Trustees are able to resign before the end of their set term. The trustee will need to put their resignation in writing, and give a month's notice
Specific Treasurer responsibilities
- Bring significant professional experience as a qualified accountant and be sympathetic to the operations and working conditions of a small charity.
- Oversee and present budgets, accounts and financial statements at Board meetings.
- Work with the Board to ensure appropriate financial systems and controls are in place.
- Work with auditors to ensure that record keeping and accounts meet the conditions of regulators and funders, comply with relevant legislation and that annual accounts are submitted to the Charity Commission and Companies House.
- Ensure and complete Annual Return and process claims for Gift Aid.
- Play a role in signing off project budgets and spending.
- Advise on fundraising needs and strategy.
- Record of supporting a charity/non-profit organisation, demonstrable understanding of the challenges faced by small charities upscaling their work in the current climate.
- Bringing an established network of contacts who may support our fundraising work.
- Have an understanding of the Charity Commission's laws and regulations.
General Responsibilities and tasks
- An understanding of and commitment to the values of On Road, and its vision and mission statements.
- Ensure the operational plan and budget reflect the agreed strategic direction and are appropriate.
- To hold the Chief Executive accountable for the achievement of agreed targets and provide them with regular, constructive feedback on both management and overall achievement.
- Support the CEO when requested, sharing expertise, as a member of a working group or in other appropriate ways.
- Agree the charity's policies and ensure they will assist in the achievement of the strategic and operational plans.
- Ensure the charity has satisfactory financial control systems and procedures in place, and to review the level of risk annually.
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of Trusteeship and to reflect annually on the Board's performance and your own performance as a Trustee.
- Attend quarterly Board meetings, read relevant papers and be prepared to make a contribution, working with fellow Board members as a team.
- Safeguard On Road's reputation, and other intangible assets. Be prepared to act as a spokesperson for On Road, attending events as an ambassador for On Road, to network and promote the work of the organisation.
- Assist with fundraising by speaking, networking and otherwise seeking business development opportunities in conjunction with the CEO.
How to apply
Please send your CV and a covering letter, explaining why you are interested in this position to Amy at email@example.com (subject: Treasurer Application), by 5pm Monday 21st December.
We are committed to providing equal opportunities for everyone regardless of their background or age. We are particularly keen to receive applications from Black, Asian and minority ethnic people; people with disabilities (visible and invisible, mental and physical); people who identify as being LGTBQIA; and people who identify as working class or have done so in the past.