about 3 years ago
AFRUCA are currently recruiting for social work volunteers to work in our busy central London office. The position would be suitable for recently qualified social work graduates or social workers returning to work following a career break. The position will involve work with African families involved in the child protection system at various stages. As part of our social work staff, you will provide support in the assessment process, advocate for families with various agencies and carry out family support work with children and families to promote positive outcomes.
Job Description and Person Specification:
This volunteer position has been created within our social work team to build AFRUCA’s capacity to support families going through different stages of the child protection system. The volunteer will be based at our Head Office in Essex Road, London. The volunteer will support the social worker and other staff to carry out assessments and provide one-to-one support for families to enable them to improve their parenting capacities and be better able to navigate the child protection systems.
- Conduct one-to-one support sessions with families.
- Support the social work team to conduct family assessments, working with different local authorities.
- Participate in regular and ongoing monitoring of service.
- Support the social work team by maintaining the electronic and paper record keeping and filing system, ensuring all case files and papers are filed confidentially and efficiently and are easily accessible.
- Support the social work team to produce monthly progress reports.
- Hold regular review meetings with the social work team to discuss casework and promote professional development amongst the team.
- Continue your professional development according to HCPC standards for social workers by attending training and events as necessary.
- Attend relevant events and training courses to improve ability to work with children and on children’s issues and to manage the work with families successfully.
- You must have the right to work in the UK and be willing and able to provide evidence of this.
- A recognised qualification in social work.
- Evidence of registration with HCPC.
- A good level of written and spoken English.
- A good knowledge and understanding of African cultural practices that impact on children or a willingness to learn about such issues.
- An understanding of the key issues and challenges faced by African children and their families in the UK.
- Willingness and ability to work as part of a team with social workers and family support staff.
- Be creative and able to reflect on your work with children and families.
- Ability to work in an anti-oppressive and anti-discriminatory way with children and families.
- Skills and experience in working in context of 'front door' referral, assessment and child protection work.
- Ability to speak at least one African language and another European language (ie French or Portuguese) would be an advantage.
Please note that it will be necessary for you to undergo a DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check.
Volunteers would work for one or three days per week, negotiable depending on availability.
Location: AFRUCA Head Office, London
Number of Hours: Maximum 21 hours per week
Travel expenses will be reimbursed
How to Apply: Please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org