about 1 year ago
Charity: Alzheimer's Society
Frequency: 1+ hours per week
Role location: Multiple locations
Why we need you:
As a Side by Side volunteer, you will enable people living with dementia to keep doing the things they love, help people to stay connected in their communities and build the confidence of individuals to stay active and engaged in social and recreational activities.
What you'll be doing:
- Participating in activities you share an interest in, with a person with dementia to help them to keep doing the things they love - or pick up new ones!
- To give advice to people living with dementia and signpost them to services to enable them to live well
- Assisting and supporting people living with dementia
- Communicating regularly with the coordinator and/or lead volunteers
This role will suit you if you:
- Want to support, enable and empower people with dementia
- Are a good verbal communicator with great listening skills, especially face to face
- Are happy volunteering on your own and keep in touch with your team
- Can provide a committed, flexible approach and who is willing to learn
What you can expect from us:
- Training, guidance and support to ensure safeguarding and service standards
- You'll have a role manager who will support you throughout your journey with us
- Out of pocket expenses (eg. travel) agreed before you start, in line with our policy
- We'll keep you up to date with relevant policies and procedures that apply to your role
- You'll have access to our personal development framework for volunteers
What we need from you:
To ensure the safety and security of people with dementia, we ask for:
- Two references and proof of identity
- A commitment of at least six months
- Essential learning and training to be complete before starting in your role, which will take about two and a half days, mostly face to face but including some eLearning
- You may be asked to complete a DBS or Access NI check, in line with DBS authority's guidance. A criminal record will not necessarily stop you being able to carry out this role
Interested? Find out more!
If you have any questions about the role or woudl like to apply, please contact Jane Penton at email@example.com or phone 01296 331 722.