about 2 months ago
Crisis is the national charity for homeless people. We are determined to end homelessness. We do it person by person and by influencing policies to ensure everyone has a place to call home.
Homelessness is devastating, leaving people vulnerable and isolated.
Crisis offers ground breaking housing, health, education and employment services. We work with thousands of homeless people across the UK every year. We are determined campaigners. We draw on our research, partnerships and years of experience of working directly with homeless people to deliver change and a vision to end homelessness for good.
You will contribute to ending homelessness by
Providing reception support to the Crisis Skylight staff, facilitating efficient running of the reception, allowing us to support more people out of homelessness.
What you will gain
- Workplace experience in a national organisation
- The opportunity to share existing or develop new skills in a friendly and supportive environment
- Opportunities to work with staff and fellow volunteers during the year and an invite to our member celebrations where you can help us recognise the achievements of our members
- Regular meetings with your supervisor to discuss how your volunteering is going and what other opportunities and training may be available to you together with an induction
- A platform for building confidence
- A reference from a reputable organisation
- Based at the main reception desk of our busy Skylight building, you'll be…
- Providing a welcoming and safe environment to visitors, members and staff attending the Skylight.
- Responding to any general in-person queries or deliveries.
- Responding to email and telephone enquiries, gathering enough information to direct the call or email appropriately.
- Updating the case management system (CMS) with any telephone or email messages and input basic details of new enquiries.
- Promoting our classes and services to encourage engagement by our members, including sending texts through our CMS
- Checking voicemails, room calendars and email inboxes on a regular basis
- Ensuring promotional materials are available and up to date in all areas
- Helping to maintain our signposting spreadsheet by adding service updates and opportunities.
- Managing and recording post and deliveries arriving to the building
- Supporting with any other general administration that is needed.
- Maintaining a Covid-safe environment
Who we are looking for
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills with a particular focus on listening, both in person and over the phone
- Excellent IT skills with the ability to use the internet, email and Microsoft Office including Excel and confident in learning new computer systems.
- Able to communicate information clearly and accurately in written formats i.e. via email.
- Good time-management skills and reliability
- Able to multi-task in a busy environment
- Non-judgemental, patient, and friendly
- An understanding of the importance of confidentiality and maintaining boundaries
- Be positive, productive and have a passion to help end homelessness
- We expect volunteers to comply with Crisis policies including health and safety, data protection and code of conduct at all times
- Travel and lunch expenses are reimbursed as appropriate
- We welcome applications from people from all backgrounds and people with disabilities
Timings: Ideally for at least one day or two half days per week. 10 - 4pm, Mondays - Thursdays, 10 -1pm Fridays.
Location: Crisis Skylight Brent, Ajax Building, 16A St Thomas's Road, Harlesden, NW10 4AJ
Responsible to: Minta Sakaria, Engagement and Assessment Team Leader
How do I apply?
Apply online at:
Deadline: Monday 1st November, 12.00pm, noon.