City of London
Some expenses to cover food and travel will be reimbursed
almost 3 years ago
• 1 in 4 parents lose a baby through miscarriage, stillbirth or prematurity
• 60,000 babies are born prematurely each year
• 4,000 babies are stillborn each year
Tommy’s was started in 1992 by two obstetricians who wanted to make pregnancy safer for all.
Each baby lost represents a tragedy for the family concerned. It touches the lives of almost every household in the UK. We are also concerned about the lifelong implications suffered by many children who are born too soon.
Tommy’s exists to change all this. We fund medical research and provide information on the causes and prevention of miscarriage, premature birth and stillbirth.
Tommy’s believes that every pregnancy should have a happy ending. The charity employs around 20 members of staff and we currently raise c £4m a year.
The PR Intern will be based within Tommy’s Community Events Team reporting in to the Community Events Manager. The role will lend PR support in the run up to our summer fundraising events ‘Singathon’ which is supported by Music Bugs and ‘Sensathon’ which is supported by Baby Sensory.
We are aiming to raise over £400,000 from both of these events.
Tommy’s supports Music Bugs and Baby Sensory by providing PR assistance to their 250+ participating franchises (across both companies) to secure regional PR coverage for them.
Please visit www.tommys.org/singathon and www.tommys.org/sensathon for more details.
• Working to a strategy and template for regional PR activity as set out by Tommy’s
• Liaising with Music Bugs and Baby Sensory and the individual franchisees for each organisation
• Annotating press releases (provided by the companies) and liaising with regional media
• Assisting with the organisation of photo calls for the Singathon and Sensathon events and inviting the local media
• Providing PR support generally in Tommy’s, as support may be required across other projects
• Excellent communication skills – both written and oral
• Methodical and well-organised
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Excellent attention to detail
• IT literate: MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
• Previous office experience
• Ability to use own initiative
• Related degree/qualification – e.g. communications, public relations, journalism
• Interest in PR/the charity sector
• Interest in current affairs
• Previous experience working in public relations or within the media
• Knowledge of social media in a business setting
Minimum 3 days per week (hours to be agreed)
This is a voluntary internship: expenses to cover food and travel will be paid in line with Tommy’s Volunteer Policy.
Place of work:
Tommy’s, Nicholas House, 3 Laurence Pountney Hill, London, EC4R 0BB
11th April – 10th June
For more information or to applt for the role, please visit http://www.tommys.org/workfortommys